trimming horns

Farmingmama123

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
hello everyone, we have 2 Nigerian dwarf goats and their horns are getting a bit long, i was wondering if anyone has experience in trimming them down? I'll take them to the vet if i had to but wanted to see how easy of a process it would be for myself. i did look on YouTube but i didn't find any at the time that helpful, any thoughts or experiences would be wonderful thank you everyone!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
hello everyone, we have 2 Nigerian dwarf goats and their horns are getting a bit long, i was wondering if anyone has experience in trimming them down? I'll take them to the vet if i had to but wanted to see how easy of a process it would be for myself. i did look on YouTube but i didn't find any at the time that helpful, any thoughts or experiences would be wonderful thank you everyone!
We cut the tips off and round them with the hoof trimmers, but we use the horns to hold the goats as ours are short little ND goats....are you not wanting horns at all ?

Farmingmama123

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
just to trim them down, their almost a year old now, their just getting a bit long and their head butting everyone

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
just to trim them down, their almost a year old now, their just getting a bit long and their head butting everyone
Head butting each other is normal, but cutting and rounding the tips has helped us from any injuries...some people band the horns to remove them, and a vet can remove them if you need them gone...personally, I NEED those handles for a quick catch :)

Farmingmama123

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
very true lol, those are great handles!
we were just looking to round them up their getting under the calves tummies and I'm just scared they will puncture them
thank you all for your replies