Trimming Nails?

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just received two female rabbits, both around two months old from a friend. Their nails are extremely sharp but still too little to trim, I would get the quick if I did. I was wondering if there is any way to dull their nails because they like to scratch and my arms are bleeding. They also bite if you get in their way. I don't know if this is typical behavior either. Any idea with be greatly appreciated.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
we usually use our dog's nail cutter to trim nails- little nails are sharp. Can you use a nail file or do you have a concrete area that you can set up a pen let them be on for a while to help take the edge off the nails?

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah I have a concrete patio outside... I would just have to watch my dogs. The two younger ones bark a lot and try to go at the rabbits, but the older one protects them. He licks their cheeks it's cute. :p I guess if I put him out there with them he can fight off the other two if the dogs really need to be let out...

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
At 2 months, there should be a little tip that goes beyond the quick on those nails. There wouldn't be much, but if you look at them back lit in bright light you should see a little clear area. I have taken those tips off with a pair of human nail clippers; they don't work well on more developed claws, but they can help to take the points off of those really sharp baby claws.

I have a pair of these for trimming claws on the adult rabbits:
ultimate-touch-cat-claw-clipper.jpg

These are usually sold as cat claw clippers, and are a great deal smaller than this image is on my computer screen! Their small, hooked jaws allow me to get a good look at what I'm doing, and are great for working around the small feet of my dwarf breeds.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with all the above posters on nails! Scratching is very normal, many rabbit people wear long sleeves because of it. The biting is not cute and I don't keep rabbits who bite for long (especially if they draw blood), but I would: ignore the behavior, don't give them the opportunity, handle them gently, give them treats from your hand, and hope it will go away.

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok thanks @Bunnylady and @mysunwolf. They're getting a bit better, however last night they did draw a little blood. I've been feeding from my hand and holding and petting them a lot. I've only had them about three days and they're already coming to hide by me when new people arrive. Like my younger cousins played with them today and when they had had enough they came and sat next to me, one even fell asleep in my arms. I think they thought they were wild little animals but now they might like being tame. Haha. Clover has really taken to training and has learned spin and to come when she is called so I'm sure they will get better over time.

MMWB

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
"He licks their cheeks it's cute."

In some circles that could be considered taste testing... lol

A nail file (or better yet a small bastard file from the hardware store) or rough sharpening stone will dull the nails a bit.

Lamb Lover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@MMWB I supossed it could be. Haha.

I tried the nail file and they don't like it, and clippers of any kind scare them. I was told putting them in a pillow case calms them down so I tried that with the bigger one and she was just fine. But I found a better way. I have something that has an electric sander and it's meant for dogs but it works on rabbits judt fine and they prefer it. It's worked really well.

Latest posts