U S A: SHEEP INDUSTRY. Revive it or just let it slowly die?

High Desert Cowboy

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’ve never known anyone with a commercial Merino flock, but with your mention of them being poor mothers,lambers, susceptible to random acts of God, etc it seems like it would be very difficult to make any sort of profit.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day, I don't think you all "appreciate" how good all the humor is for me in these difficult time with the farm and stuff.

On the subject of wool production,as I mentioned before those who "stayed" are reaping really good rewards at the present.In the example I quoted $20.00 a kg,8 kg wool cut =$160.00 per head X 1000 hd +$160000.00 as your gross.Even if you are working a margin of 30% as your nett (which to my mind is not unreasonable to expect) and this is as well as animal sales should enable you to look after a family in a reasonable fashion?

If you move down the micron scale to say 18 mic the value of the wool cheque is substantially greater as well as the animal sales,but you fixed costs are the same and the increased variable costs are nowhere as great as the added value of the wool.T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should hang out here more often, we lambast each other with LOTS of humor! :lol:

Latest posts