URGENT!!! Really skinny dairy goat needs to gain weight

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree with the others!
Have you checked to see how much the vet charges for a fecal? The natural wormers are better as a preventive. Once the goat has a high worm load most of these "herbal wormers" don't do the job.
I you cannot have your vet run a fecal, you can mail a sample to the link below. I believe it is only $5 a sample and can possible save your goats life.
http://www.midamericaagresearch.net/instructions.php

As the others said, increase her grain! Look and see if you can get a few bales of Alfalfa or Chaffhaye. You need to be careful with the Chaffhaye though, as it tends to mold and needs to be used up quickly.

If you order the Ivemectin from jeffers, you can get the Normectin. The Normectin is less $ than the "name brand" Ivomec. They are both 1% ivermectin.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/noromectin-injection

Thanks for the info. Is Chaffhaye expensive? Like i said, I can't afford much.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't bought any since last winter - but it was about $14.00 for 50 lbs. I think it's 50lbs... I use it more in cooler weather because where I am (hot and humid) it does need to be used up within a week or so.

Price might have changed since last year... I need to check.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Dose Tractor Supply or Southern States carry chaffhaye? I looked the website and it had no results but I think I've seen there.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dose Tractor Supply or Southern States carry chaffhaye? I looked the website and it had no results but I think I've seen there.
TSC probably doesn't.
SS may. Call them and ask :) You should also ask about the Ivermectin too.

Forgot to ask, what kind of reaction did the goat have to the Fenben.? That is one of the safest wormers, it is almost impossible to OD them. Would love to know what symptoms she displayed.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I love kelp, we used it a great deal her but our water is so high in iron and so is the kelp we had to discontinue it.
Hoping to get back to it when we move. 90% is utilized over only 45-60 % of the common loose minerals... but you probabaly already knew that. ;)

The feed the poster is using has a range with the Ca to P ratio I would be concerned about the BOSS because it is so high in P and the feed itself isn't very high in Ca.

What do you think?

I love the kelp meal too and used it for sheep, cows and chickens...I imagine the dogs helped themselves to it also. Good, good stuff!

I'd say that depends on how much BOSS is given...a little bit in the feed ration shouldn't throw off any balance of nutrients to much as to affect the animal. If their balance is that delicate that it can be affected negatively by a little BOSS to the mix for awhile, I'd cull the animal. Needs too much fussy babying around to stay healthy.

Actually, viewing her age and the problems she's having, I'd have an eye on culling her from a flock...unless the whole flock are having similar issues, it becomes a single animal problem(though I'm guessing this poster doesn't have a flock and doesn't have to work on flock development).

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
TSC probably doesn't.
SS may. Call them and ask :) You should also ask about the Ivermectin too.

Forgot to ask, what kind of reaction did the goat have to the Fenben.? That is one of the safest wormers, it is almost impossible to OD them. Would love to know what symptoms she displayed.
She may have had a reaction to another ing. in the bottle but I dont know. She got runny eyes, runny nose, and dierrea. I though it was coincidental that she got sick but it has happened the past 3 time she got a dose. And it is not moldy or anything because I wormed my other goats with the same bottle and they were fine. Could I use horse Ivermectin? We have some for the horses and if I would not have to buy a bottle that would be great.

Feo

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I love the kelp meal too and used it for sheep, cows and chickens...I imagine the dogs helped themselves to it also. Good, good stuff!

I'd say that depends on how much BOSS is given...a little bit in the feed ration shouldn't throw off any balance of nutrients to much as to affect the animal. If their balance is that delicate that it can be affected negatively by a little BOSS to the mix for awhile, I'd cull the animal. Needs too much fussy babying around to stay healthy.

Actually, viewing her age and the problems she's having, I'd have an eye on culling her from a flock...unless the whole flock are having similar issues, it becomes a single animal problem(though I'm guessing this poster doesn't have a flock and doesn't have to work on flock development).

I not only bought this goat as a dairy animal but she is also my personal pet and i would never dream of culling her unless absolutely necessary. I will cull my meat goat in about a week though so it is not like I am too sissy to do it. No offence, but please do not suggest that anymore:) thank you for understanding.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can find a dealer here-
http://chaffhaye.com/

The mixed stuff at TSG is not quite the same.

I hope you stay with us on the forum.
Always nice to see how things progress and to have another in the community. :)

This is a really friendly site.
We can squabble and sometimes disagree but that happens in any "family".

So ... Want to officially welcome you!
Welcome to BYH! :frow
Where we love pics and all things farm!

So maybe you can tell us about you and your farm and for goodness sake we really are picture addicts... so pics please!:)

Reactions: Feo