USDA tags scrappie tags

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A reminder and some information on scrappie tags in the USA. If you are a breeder and selling a goat or sheep that was born on your farm your animal is suppose to be scrappie tagged or in some cases can be sold tattooed with registration paperwork from one of the registries.

Here is a website link about this and how to get scrappie tags for your farm. The tags are free so there is really no reason to not register your farm.

http://www.eradicatescrapie.org/

A link to a good discussion about Scrappie tags. http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21835&p=1

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have been involved in the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program for a year now. There is a bit of paperwork to complete in the form of a questionnaire but once it is complete, the tags are sent to your address along with an Alflex ear tag applicator all FREE. By participating in this program, you are helping the government trace an animal from its source to the current owner in the event that this animal was to show signs or get diagnosed with scrapies or another zoonotic disease (disease that you can catch from an animal). Also, by participating in this program, you expand the marketing possibilities of your goats because more and more buyers and sales and shows are requiring this.

bloonskiller911

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My wife called and got our premise and scrapie tags ready to be sent to us for our sheep. Do/Can I use the same tags for our goats? It is one question I forgot to mention to her before she called, and since it has been over the weekend we haven't had a chance. I am in Indiana.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know. Excellent question. We only have goats. I would give them a call on Monday. I would assume that you could since on the paperwork it asked all species of animals living on my farm, so I listed the goats and the 2 guard llamas and the 2 border collies. The gvt. knows you have sheep and goats if you put both on the forms. I would be on the safe side though and give 'em a call.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My wife called and got our premise and scrapie tags ready to be sent to us for our sheep. Do/Can I use the same tags for our goats? It is one question I forgot to mention to her before she called, and since it has been over the weekend we haven't had a chance. I am in Indiana.
Great job! We found out about this program when we inquired about selling a trailer load of meat kids at the Abingdon, VA sale and they told us the goats needed a scrapie tag. I googled it and the rest is history. You'll open a bigger marketing door for your livestock sales. I am not one who likes the gvt. Intruding into my life or the gvt. Meddling into people's lives too much, but sometimes you have to play their game to accomplish a personal goal and open up more opportunities.

taylorm17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did look at this. I know some about scrappie, but have some questions. Does it affect ALL breeds of goats. How can they get it besides contact with other goats. Should I be highly concerned about my goats getting it. Should that be something I should ask about when buying a new goat? hanks for any advice or tips.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Yes, it can affect any breed of sheep or goat. In sheep, some are genetically resistant to the disease. You can select for Scrapie resistant sheep by purchasing an RR ram and breeding him to your unknown ewes. Or having all your sheep genotyped and culling the QQ stock.

Sheep that are RR at Codon 171 are genetically resistant to two of the I believe three strains of Scrapie. QR sheep are genetically resistant to at least one strain. QQ sheep at Codon 171 are susceptible to the disease if exposed to it. Generally if your sheep are QR or QQ it is recommended to have them tested at Codon 136 (which is the genetic susceptibility to another strain of Scrapie). For the most part, all RR sheep are AA at Codon 136. QR & QQ sheep can be AA, AV, or VV at Codon 136.

To my knowledge there is no genetic resistance test for goats. However, it is not as common in goats as it is in sheep.

Usually Scrapie is passed through birthing fluids and bedding/soil touched by birthing fluids.

While it is a serious, fatal disease, it is not overly common. Most sheep don't have it. Especially now with the Scrapie Eradication program in place (www.eradicatescrapie.org), there have been fewer and fewer Scrapie cases every year.

Whether buying a sheep or a goat, you should ask and see if they are involved in the Scrapie Eradication program (voluntary or mandatory). Regardless, if you buy any animal it is a legal requirement they have a Scrapie ID tag put in by their farm of origin (where they were born). That way they can be traced back to the potential source (remember how Scrapie is primarily passed through birthing fluids?) and further investigation can take place.

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Here is a website link about this and how to get scrappie tags for your farm. The tags are free so there is really no reason to not register your farm.

http://www.eradicatescrapie.org/
Okay, total noob here, but I went to that link and could not find anywhere where you can actually get tags for your farm. Also, under the "how to comply" tab, it lists steps that need to be taken and step two is "Request a flock ID number from your local APHIS Veterinary Services office." I am sort of scratching my head here that they are not a little more specific. What is APHIS and how would I find my "local APHIS Veterinary Services Office"?

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have been involved in the USDA Scrapie Eradication Program for a year now. There is a bit of paperwork to complete in the form of a questionnaire but once it is complete, the tags are sent to your address along with an Alflex ear tag applicator all FREE.
Do you have a link for how you would sign up for this?

Latest posts