Using sheep as lawn mowers

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm a long way off from getting sheep or any livestock. But I'm doing my research beforehand. I have been tossing around the idea of using sheep as lawn mowers to cut costs when I eventually get my own property.

I have an idea of the breed's I want, but I thought I'd ask to see what your opinions would be.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We moved almost 2 years ago to 8 acres. The soil is real sandy, no lawn at all. We turn the sheep out and they keep the weeds down. We borrowed a mower last week and mowed what they didn't eat. But they will eat everything. Flowers, tree bark and branches. Fence off what you don't want them to eat.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
They would work good. A lot of the time people have nice plants in there front yard so you will want to make sure they stay where you want them. The road will also have to be completely blocked. We let our sheep and goats in the front yard and they ate most everything they tried to get the plum tree but our dog would stop that. We didn't have our road blocked but we didn't let them out unless we were out watching. We had 3 cattle panels and looped them in a circle and that worked great.

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm planning on having my entire yard fenced off. considering I'm the type of person to let my horses or other livestock in my yard.

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am also wondering if a certain breed would be better. I'm looking at getting Icelandic, Shetland, and Jacob.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am also wondering if a certain breed would be better. I'm looking at getting Icelandic, Shetland, and Jacob.
That would depend on what you want them for. We raise Dorper/Katahdin cross sheep because their meat is awesome. Do you want meat, fiber, of those super cool looking horns that the Jacobs have?

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Icelandics will eat grass, but they prefer weeds, shrubs, vines and trees.

Sheep will eat anything and everything around the house, so you won't want anything that might be toxic, like yew, rhododendron or azalea, among others. Roses are safe for the sheep, but sheep will see them as a tasty snack and you won't have roses for long. Ditto for most anything growing by the house.

rodeogirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That would depend on what you want them for. We raise Dorper/Katahdin cross sheep because their meat is awesome. Do you want meat, fiber, of those super cool looking horns that the Jacobs have?
I'm going for meat, fiber and the hides and horns of the sheep that are going to freezer camp. I don't want to waste anything.

Icelandics will eat grass, but they prefer weeds, shrubs, vines and trees.

Sheep will eat anything and everything around the house, so you won't want anything that might be toxic, like yew, rhododendron or azalea, among others. Roses are safe for the sheep, but sheep will see them as a tasty snack and you won't have roses for long. Ditto for most anything growing by the house.
Because I'm planning on letting other livestock into the yard as well I will make sure that there are no toxic plants in reach.