Uterine Bolus

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The one I found on Jeffers contains urea. I thought this was toxic to goats?? Is there one available anywhere that does not contain this, or is it ok to use just for this purpose?? Thanks.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Why are you wanting to use one? The newest studies say they cause more problems then they solve.

Donna

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm, really. I wasn't wanting to use one. I thought you were supposed to have them on hand in case you had to reach in & help move a baby into a better position for birthing. Is it not recommended? Do you do something else to prevent infection or is just having recently washed hands good enough??

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
that's*satyrical said:
Hmm, really. I wasn't wanting to use one. I thought you were supposed to have them on hand in case you had to reach in & help move a baby into a better position for birthing. Is it not recommended? Do you do something else to prevent infection or is just having recently washed hands good enough??
I hear the best thing is to wash hands super well and wear gloves.

RemudaOne

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The one I got from Jeffers is labeled for sheep and cows, I think.. Let me take a look, yes that's it. And I do see that it contains 13.4g of Urea per bolus. Might not hurt to check with your vet. I just had to use one on a ewe yesterday, I hope it works well.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
We used them all the time on the organic dairy farm where I worked. I'm not sure what was in them or not, but we didn't have too many options since we were organic.

I don't think the ones we used were the same ones for Jeffers...I doubt those would be considered organic. It's been so long I can't remember what brand they were or where we got them.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have had to pull a few kids in the 15yrs I've had boer goats and have never used a bolus. I always wash my hands and arms well prior to entering any doe. Never had one have a problem.

Donna

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
We used them all the time on the organic dairy farm where I worked. I'm not sure what was in them or not, but we didn't have too many options since we were organic.

I don't think the ones we used were the same ones for Jeffers...I doubt those would be considered organic. It's been so long I can't remember what brand they were or where we got them.
Jeffers carries some organic stuff. The selenium E gel we get from there is organic.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Renegade said:
I have had to pull a few kids in the 15yrs I've had boer goats and have never used a bolus. I always wash my hands and arms well prior to entering any doe. Never had one have a problem.

Donna
That is good to know. I've just seen people posting that when they go in to help they use a bolus afterwards. I wouldn't want to be responsible for any of my girls getting a uterine infection :(

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most of the advice I have seen and heard says if you go in, give the doe a round of antibiotics. I never saw anything about a bolus. Man this goat raising thing can sure be confusing.