Vaccinating for CL

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kid if the dam is tested for CAE. Unless there is an active abscess it is highly unlikely that a young kid will be exposed. Yes, it can live in the soil and on feeders etc but the kid would have to have an open sore for it to enter the bloodstream. Just not likely...how long ago were those abscesses on her foundation stock?

It would be interesting to know if a kid from a vaccinated doe will test positive for CL? I am thinking it might for a few months :idunno If you can get her to not vaccinate the kid it will be easier to convince people that you have a clean and tested herd when you go to sell offspring down the road. That is probably the biggest drawback of a vaccinated goat.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know and it's just me... If she has a herd of goats, all living together, what good would it do for her to only test the doe of the kid you are purchasing? Any one of the other goats could be a carrier of whatever and be shedding it onto her property. If the kid was born in the area where any of these other goats are, there's the chance the umbilical could have been exposed at birth. Mom lays down and then gets up and the kid nurses... I don't know, the whole situation seems sketchy to me...

Maybe I'm way overboard here, but really, what risk level is "too much"? Is this kid you want really worth it? I think I'd find a different breeder. Just MHO... I wish you all the best with whatever you do and will be :caf:pop for pictures :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree.

It depends on the person and how much they are willing to risk.

A + CL would bother me and I wouldn't be buying from a herd with CL.

Maybe I'm just not very trusting… but people lie. Or stretch the truth.

I would much rather buy from a herd that has documentation of the entire herd (with negative results).

Never just go on someone's word.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand why they wouldn't culture the abscesses when they had them.

If they had abscesses burst on their soil, the bacteria can survive there for a long time and baby goats are always tasting everything...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a kid if the dam is tested for CAE. Unless there is an active abscess it is highly unlikely that a young kid will be exposed. Yes, it can live in the soil and on feeders etc but the kid would have to have an open sore for it to enter the bloodstream. Just not likely...how long ago were those abscesses on her foundation stock?

It would be interesting to know if a kid from a vaccinated doe will test positive for CL? I am thinking it might for a few months :idunno If you can get her to not vaccinate the kid it will be easier to convince people that you have a clean and tested herd when you go to sell offspring down the road. That is probably the biggest drawback of a vaccinated goat.

Do you remember when we were talking one night and we both had gotten the newsletter from UC Davis? The herd of kid goats die copper toxicity BUT the kids were also positive for CL... and that was through necropsy!

The tough thing with meat goats is most really don't care that much about CL because these are terminal animals... they only care when the carcasses start being condemned.
Our Kikos are NOT vaccinated and are tested foe CL, CAE, Johnes. We want to keep it that way.
I don't know I would buy a vaccinated goat.

I would be talking to the manufacturer of the vaccine.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you remember when we were talking one night and we both had gotten the newsletter from UC Davis? The herd of kid goats die copper toxicity BUT the kids were also positive for CL... and that was through necropsy!

Not only do I not remember that conversation at all. :hide I just looked at the last 3 newsletters and can't find any reference. Please refresh my memory if you can.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not only do I not remember that conversation at all. :hide I just looked at the last 3 newsletters and can't find any reference. Please refresh my memory if you can.

LOL that is as good as that is gonna get... you know how my brain is working right now... as in NOT :lol:

You know it's because we hit 20 different subjects randomly switching back and forth while you are running errands and I am way past bedtime! :gig

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not worry about CAE being passed from another goat UNLESS the kids share nursing and many of mine sneak snacks off of other does when they aren't looking.

Many people don't test...money, no vet, not sure how, don't know that they can, etc. When I first got my goats I had no idea of all of the hazards that could lurk in goat ownership. I wouldn't have known to test an abscess and it wasn't until a goat got sick with something else that I even learned that CL existed.

I always tested my Boers too but mostly that was because I owned dairy stock as well.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Found it but I can't copy and the file can't be viewed so I will type what I can with my 2 fingers...
This is not the one I was looking for but close enough.

Forget that I took a pic
This is from UC Davis newsletter
002.JPG

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
1 week. :ep:ep:ep My guess would be that CL was in the dam's udder or it was exposed in utero. That's crazy.

Latest posts