verkagj-Belize Farm Journal

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
verkagj said:
I've been emailing with someone who lives near the Guatemala border about the buckling. He lives on 75 acres in the jungle. Now has 30 goats, 13 milkers, 2 bucks and the rest wethers. They are off-grid and use kerosene lanterns. No refrig. His mother cans the goat meat and makes cheese. I'm curious how she keeps the milk cold or ages the cheeses.
If you find out, pass the information on. I've been looking at various means of keeping milk cold myself since we don't have any electricity except to the well house, which is 1/2 mile away. This winter wasn't so bad since things stayed cold enough with the cooler I have. Though I've read something about running coils of hose around a container and having cold water run through it.

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I sent the photos but haven't heard back from him yet. I'm really curious about how they keep the milk products cold. I'm a wimp. We have solar and I have a regular refrigerator and a little freezer, washing machine. I use the microwave, crockpot, ice cream maker and other appliances. This time of year, because of the angle of the sun, the house shades the solar panels in the late afternoon so we usually run the generator after we watch a DVD after dinner.

Latest posts