We HATE our chickens . . . how long do they live?

genuck

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My chickens are so good at dying, I doubt they will live to see 10.

Good to know that if they do they will still lay a little. I have an auction nearby for my 'culls' so getting rid of the unwanteds without eating them is easy.

Of course the way things are going unless I get more chicks I'll have one big bachelor party next spring...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not how rural chickens act....mine are all just normal. I had a nasty SLW once but promptly wrung her neck and gave to the wildlife. For the most part, I don't find nasty to be breed specific, but your flock sound like some whole other kinda cat....I'd turn 'em into dog food.

As stated previously, life is too short to put up with mean animals....live happy! :D

genuck

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yeah, they do sound kind of crazy, I've had up to 30 roosters at once (don't ask) all free ranged with hens during the day. Only ever had one mean rooster, no others have even tried to flog. They will steal a cheeseburger in a heartbeat though. I've heard RIR can be nasty.

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
where in Texas are you..... I will find them homes or take them off your hands..... or donate them to a needy farming family and they can dress them......

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
your chickens sound crazy lol i've lost count how many i have and none of mine are mean like that, only one rooster and he left quickly. ive heard different opinions on barred rocks being mean or nice, ive never had a bad experience with them. same with the reds, they are usually more bold but again never had a mean one. i think you should get rid of those hens and start over, maybe get some buff orpingtons or cochins. i dont have any orpingtons but i am told they are super friendly and easy going and lay well. i do have cochin bantams and they are such nice calm birds, even my rooster.
you shouldnt have to deal with that and i'd hate for you to think they all act that way because they dont! bring them to an auction or sell on craiglist or something and then try again! :)
also if they wont lay where they should, you could try locking them up in the coop for a few days, maybe a week until they start laying in the nest boxes consistantly again. you can put a plastic dummy egg in the box so that attracts them to lay there too. good luck!

CCourson05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have one mean Roo... He was spoiled as a chick and BAM! Just like with children.... IT became a brat... Sadly, this one I can't bring myself to kill. He is the only chicken out of the 106 that has immunity from "The Cone".

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could retrain him. He doesn't have to continue to be a brat...just change his attitude! ;)

Chikn Luva

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They will live as long as you let them- But if you hate them that much, I'd say it's freezer camp time. ;) If you don't wanna do that, sell them. :)