We have Eggs

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Alright, I went in the coop to find a hen in the nest box, one either in line for it or there for support. I checked and there were 2 eggs. I took them. One left the coop and the other still there. Before leaving their yard, I checked on her and she was still at it. I noticed something on the floor of the coop. Looked like a broken egg. Upon closer inspection, that’s what it was. I have 3 BO, the same age. I’ve never gotten 3 eggs in one day plus I have a barred rock who should be laying soon. I’ll post picks of the broken egg. My question, this egg was under the roost. Would a hen lay an egg while roosting? The shell is lighter than the ones I’ve been collecting. I picked it up. It had shell on it not just membrane.
B697C699-52EF-49FB-8B3E-BDA5832A7698.jpeg
9F5A16D1-076E-44AC-B99E-39EE3C38ADC0.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, I have found eggs under the roost before. And I have gotten soft shelled eggs, chickens do weird things sometimes.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How is Gracie doing?
She's a sweetheart. She does well with the chickens. She isn't over there all the time, just when we are in there. She loves Tybee, our doodle. She's sleeping outside fine although loves being inside when we bring her in.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some of my hens just like to sit in the nest and...I don't know, nap, rest, whatever! I leave them so long as they are eating & drinking.

When mine are broody, they growl, ruffle, peck at you -- most of them. -- when you approach & reach into the nest. I have a couple who just "purr" and stay. Another who had hatchlings -- she actually attacks! Wings out, squawking, pecking, trying to spur like a roo. She's one mean mamma!!! Chicks are safe with her :eek:

Your young one is probably trying to decide what her body is telling her to do. Instinct rules.

LOVE to collect eggs -- always have. Grandad used to tell me to stop pestering them or they would never lay. :lol:

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good girl Gracie!

Today she ate an egg out of the nest. I checked the boxes before going to the garden. When I was done with the garden, I went to collect my egg. She had gone in the coop which she does sometimes to eat chicken poop. Today I left it in the box because I'm always afraid I'm going to break it when I'm wandering and working in the garden. I couldn't believe it. Boy she got a yelling at.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure it was her, not a hen???

Sadly, she didn't even know why she got yelled at...:hide I'm sorry you lost an egg and that Gracie was accused. Maybe she did it, she will never tell. :D

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sure it was her, not a hen???

Sadly, she didn't even know why she got yelled at...:hide I'm sorry you lost an egg and that Gracie was accused. Maybe she did it, she will never tell. :D
Actually, I know it was her. She had egg around her mouth.

Latest posts