Weaning

Verndawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a very small heard of 4 faining goats and this is my first kid. I was wondering at what age do you need to start weaning? Right now she is 6 weeks old and is still in a stall with her mom. I was thinking about removing mom this weekend. Is it to soon?

I also have another problem. I have a male that is losing fur around his neck. What the heck could that be? I had the vet to the farm on February 8th and had him fixed. He is a year old.

HELP!!!
Thanks.

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have fainters and we let the does in the lot with the moms and let them wean them. The boys we leave with mom until they are 10 to 12 weeks old and then we just move them out with the bucks or sell them. Usually the does will wean the kids at around 6 months if not sooner. We do have one little doe that still tries to get breakfast from her mom every morning and she is 10 months old. Mom has long since dried up, so I think it is just a bonding thing with them, they are very close. If we are milking the doe, we separate the kids at 4 weeks at night and milk in the morning.

Verndawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks!! That helps me a lot with my female problem. Any clues to my male problem???

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That could be mites (you can't see them) or lice.

check on the search area here for mites and lice and there are several posts about what to use.

DonnaBelle

Verndawg

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Donna!! I have never used the search tab before. It sounds like I need to go purchase some python dust. I will get some on my way home and see if that's it. I will let you know in a couple of days how Rex is doing.

It's so great to know that I can post something on here and there is always someone that is willing to help!! I'm still new to all this goat stuff, but someday I will be in your shoes helping others.

Thanks again everyone for your great advice!!!

Verna