Weight gain in pregnant doe....or lack thereof

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two does, both sisters....15 month old Nigerian Dwarfs. They were wormed with Safeguard in January when I acquired my buck, and bred shortly thereafter. One doe, Caramel seems to be putting on good weight. She is due July 4th. The other doe, Sally, seems to not be putting on weight at all. She is due July 28th. I didn't test her, but she hasn't gone back into heat.

I took a fecal sample to the vet on Friday and they said it tested positive for over 100 eggs for strongyles. I wormed with Ivomec Injectable orally today. I weighed everyone first (I picked them up and stood on our house scale) Caramel, who weighed 45# in January now weighs 60#. And Sally, who weighed 40# in January is still at 40#. Should I be worried? I am.

They get free choice hay, fresh water, free choice baking soda and goat minerals. 1/2 cup grain 2x daily. I copper bolused them about 6 weeks ago and gave the Sel/Vit E gel at the same time. Sallys coat is also feeling rough and not shiny like it was. We have well water and I know it's hard, but I haven't had it analyzed. Maybe I should.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Also how much wormer are you using? We also had luck with safeguard at about 10-12cc for a 100lb doe for 3 days straight and then again in 10 days. This was against barberpole. A 12 cc syringe that she would get "most" of.