Weights

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I currently have two young doelings... one's Nubian and the other is a LaMancha/Oberhasli cross. They are 4 months old, give or take a week or two.

I weighed them this morning on the bathroom scale. The Nubian weighs about 35 pounds, the LaMancha about 40 pounds, give or take a pound or two - hard to tell with the struggling.

They get hay all the time; they get to split Blue Seal Caprine Challenger feed in the morning and in the evening (about a pound each feeding). In with that feed is a handful of BOSS, a half serving of Goat Balancer and about 1/4 of a serving of Goatzilla. They don't have any browse in their area (they ate it all) but I do take them out daily for about an hour for free range browsing, unless it's raining.

I can't seem to find a recommended growth chart for these breeds. I know the Nubian comes from slow growing lines (I had a related doeling that I was trying to get to breeding weight last winter, unfortunately she passed in May). I know little about the LaMancha/Obserhasli cross other than she's sweet and I love her (I fell in love with her at a fair and bought her after my other doeling died).

Are we on the right track? Would you change anything?

7805_pippy.jpg

7805_caramel.jpg

Thank you for any advice.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since no one has answered, I will comment. Since we have Boer/Nubian crosses. They are maybe a little small for their age, but not too bad looking. Genetics can for sure play a roll. I would say. But I always figure if you are at .4 or .5 lbs per day gain and they are 8 lbs at birth and they gain 12 to 15 lbs a month, then you are doing pretty well. So they are a little under that, but they still look good.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
From these pics, they look to be decent in size and body condition. I can see a little hip bone on the lamancha, (but I am not familiar with them) and I know babies can have bonier/leggier growth before putting on muscle. Certain dairy babies seem to be a bit skinnier as they grow out the first year too it seems. If they were from triplet or more births, they will likely seem smaller or slower to grow at first than singles or twins. I can't help with what they should weigh, but if they are gaining well and are able to maintain a nice enough body condition, then I wouldn't worry.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have had them since the first week in June. I will weigh them again in a few weeks to be sure they're gaining.

I did worm them (and repeated in 14 days) when I first got them with albendazole. I am fairly certain the nubian had worms, as I know a member of her flock that was sold had a reported large infestation.

We just had the first cutting of hay this season last week, so maybe I need to get new hay? Should I change to meat goat feed with a higher protein percent?

Thank you both for your comments and reassurances. I'm still pretty new to this goat thing and want to make sure I'm doing it right.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like they are getting a bit of grain product twice a day. I wouldn't push more protein unless you think they are underweight or too skinny. Good hay and any browse or pasture they have access to are the best foods.

daisyjack

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I also got a Nubian this year on the skinny side. in doing some research you want them to gain about 10 lb a month plus birth weight. so your doe should be around 40+ lb. my doe is 48 lb. and she is 5 1/2 months. she is from quads and had a heavy worm load and coccidia when I got her and I am still battling with it I have wormed her 4 times since I got her and I will be doing another fecal in a week. I would recommend getting fecal done on them just to make sure.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
It sounds like they are getting a bit of grain product twice a day. I wouldn't push more protein unless you think they are underweight or too skinny. Good hay and any browse or pasture they have access to are the best foods.
So that's my question, I guess. Are they sufficiently skinny to warrant more protein? What would YOU do?

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I personally, would hesitate to add more grain at this point.

I learned the hard way that goats can founder:( Too much grain and an imbalance of Ca:ph cause big problems. I don't know how folks that feed primarily grain products (like to meat boar wethers) can feed so much protein, lack of hay and still have healthy animals....but then again, maybe since they are terminal it doesn't matter as much if they are sent to the freezer relatively quickly???? I don't know. The healthiest goats seem to be the ones raised on almost exclusive weeds/browse/hay. I do feed grain to growing babies and lactating or pregnant animals, but I am cautious and try to keep a more grass/hay based diet for healthier animals.

I think (and I am only judging from pics....I can't see or touch your animals or know their worm status, etc......) I would be pretty satisfied with their weights and condition if they were mine.

You will have to judge that for yourself though. Every farmer or herdsman gets to know their animals and will learn the best management by observing and being aware of changes in each of your animals. Are they active and alert with sleek/shiny coats? Are their movements easy and smooth, no limping or anything out of the ordinary? If you feel they are too skinny, then add a little bit of grain. If they get a little bit too much padding over their ribs, then cut back a little. Thankfully there is usually a lot of range for correct feeding when it comes to most animals. Don't be afraid to make a decision.

SuperChemicalGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ragdollcatlady said:
I personally, would hesitate to add more grain at this point.

I learned the hard way that goats can founder:( Too much grain and an imbalance of Ca:ph cause big problems. I don't know how folks that feed primarily grain products (like to meat boar wethers) can feed so much protein, lack of hay and still have healthy animals....but then again, maybe since they are terminal it doesn't matter as much if they are sent to the freezer relatively quickly???? I don't know. The healthiest goats seem to be the ones raised on almost exclusive weeds/browse/hay. I do feed grain to growing babies and lactating or pregnant animals, but I am cautious and try to keep a more grass/hay based diet for healthier animals.

I think (and I am only judging from pics....I can't see or touch your animals or know their worm status, etc......) I would be pretty satisfied with their weights and condition if they were mine.

You will have to judge that for yourself though. Every farmer or herdsman gets to know their animals and will learn the best management by observing and being aware of changes in each of your animals. Are they active and alert with sleek/shiny coats? Are their movements easy and smooth, no limping or anything out of the ordinary? If you feel they are too skinny, then add a little bit of grain. If they get a little bit too much padding over their ribs, then cut back a little. Thankfully there is usually a lot of range for correct feeding when it comes to most animals. Don't be afraid to make a decision.
Thank you. I was looking for an opinion and I really appreciate your input. They are very active and alert, appear healthy, if a bit skinnyish.

Looking back at photos, when I first got her though, I don't see much of a difference.

7805_1005060_508684722519427_966644937_n.jpg

7805_480117_506966632691236_2010159125_n.jpg

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we first got Bambi, our nubian, she was around 6 months I think and was very skinny. I was used to slightly chubby little adult nigerians so I worried quite a bit. Dairy kids seem to be skinny in my opinion. I would weigh them every week and get a fecal done if you can. Then you will at least be able to see if they are gaining weekly and will know the worm/egg status of your girls. If you feel they are skinny, don't be afraid to add another 1/4 or or 1/2 cup of grain a day and just see how they do.