Welcome To BackYardCows.com !

Ozark Hen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Nifty, this is soooo great! Although we don't have any cattle as yet, we are up to pigs. :p I thought this was a great idea when it came up during the April Fool day joke, I had no idea you implemented the idea. Wonderful!! I will want to learn as much as I can now. Had a calf several years ago that I raised for butchering, that was hard but it was a wonderful experience.

Jillylam

Just born
Reaction score
Hay all! I don't have cows yet but plan to. I was one of the suckers that fell for the April fool's joke on BYC. So glad this is real now and I look forward to signing up on Self Sufficient too. Thanks!

Ozark Hen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi Jilly, isn't this neat? What kind of cows do you think you will get? I think we will just start with something for beef in the freezer but eventually want Irish Dexters.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Was very happy to see this site. I love having the backyard chickens forum, especially when I have an emergency and need help from experienced folks. Now I will have the same with this site.
Thanks for creating this site for us cattle crazy folks! :D

Jillylam

Just born
Reaction score
I don't really know what I'd get. It would definitely be some for the freezer and some for pets. I don't really care for meat that much but my dh does. I love to look at the Oreo cows and the Jerseys melt my heart when I look at their eyes.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
jersey arnt as sweet an gentle as their apperance leads you to beleive.they can an will kick you hard.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
jersey arnt as sweet an gentle as their apperance leads you to beleive.they can an will kick you hard.
Any breed will so remember everyone, just because they look sweet doesn't mean they won't kick. And don't make the mistake of thinking if you baby them they won't. Sometimes they are the worse ones!

Ozark Hen

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I bottle fed a Holstein years ago, dh told me to not go into the pasture with him anymore when he got big. Dh told me to carry a heavy stick when I had to go around the steer as when they get older they no longer are the sweet babies we remember!!