Well she made it to May! Pics page 2

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have asked a few questions in the past about whether or not my heifer was even bred, now it is pretty obvious. Now I am wondering if she is not due sooner. I have a vet appt for the first week in March but I thought I would share some photos with you all here and see what you think. I realize that my camera is super crappy but she definitely has an udder and she looks big in the belly to me. What do you all think?
She was not terribly cooperative so here goes.
3312_027.jpg

3312_030.jpg

Her big belly
3312_55.jpg

and her face just because it is cute
3312_020.jpg

What she looked like in Sep 2011, just for belly comparision
3312_033.jpg

dreamriver

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Howdy, hard to say. 95% of my girls will definitely get WAY more of an udder with 'strutting' where the teats are engorged, stick out and don't 'wiggle' is usually a very good sign that w/in a day or two they will go. The vulva also gets swollen and jiggly and may have some discharge increasing as they get closer to calving.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Heifers make it hard to tell, lol. She may strut before she delivers, but she may not. Alot of our's dont strut out until after delivery of IMMEDIATELY before.

That being said, I dont think she is very close, her belly is forward and high, and even in a heifer I would espect to see more udder developement that that (esp with a dairy breed).

IF you get a chance to take a pic of her "girly parts" post them on here, we might could give you a better idea then. As she gets closer her vulva will change. YOu will notice it looking loose and floppy, the opening will get longer, and it may actually hang down a little.

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well, I think I am getting to see what you all mean about the 'changes' that happen. I walked into the barn this afternoon and Kjersten (my Heifer) had a weird look on her face and looked like she was breathing fast. Her girly parts are now, not just swollen, but jiggly and totally puffed out. Also her teats are not floppy and the front of her udder is filling! I thought she looked a little anxious but I had work to do in the barn and she hung out for a while and then went outside and laid down. When I was done (we decided we better get the calf warming hut put up) I went out to her where she was laying and she was much more mellow but when she got up she was kinda humping her back and looking uncomfortable. I have not gotten the chance to go back out yet and see how she is but the kids are just finally falling asleep. I hope everything goes well, I have read everything I could but that is hardly reassuring, I am digging out the sleeping bag and I might camp in the barn tonight.

Tell me though, why, when we have been having the most lovely warm spring she has to go into labor when it is freezing cold out, blowing wind and raining? Darn you and your crazy laws Murphy!

I hope I see feet, I hope I see feet!

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well??? I've heard that the drop in barometric pressure can trigger birthing. I wonder if it's anything to do with predators laying low (er) hopefully in really bad weather? Good luck!

rd200

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
kelsey2017 said:
Well, I think I am getting to see what you all mean about the 'changes' that happen. I walked into the barn this afternoon and Kjersten (my Heifer) had a weird look on her face and looked like she was breathing fast. Her girly parts are now, not just swollen, but jiggly and totally puffed out. Also her teats are not floppy and the front of her udder is filling! I thought she looked a little anxious but I had work to do in the barn and she hung out for a while and then went outside and laid down. When I was done (we decided we better get the calf warming hut put up) I went out to her where she was laying and she was much more mellow but when she got up she was kinda humping her back and looking uncomfortable. I have not gotten the chance to go back out yet and see how she is but the kids are just finally falling asleep. I hope everything goes well, I have read everything I could but that is hardly reassuring, I am digging out the sleeping bag and I might camp in the barn tonight.

Tell me though, why, when we have been having the most lovely warm spring she has to go into labor when it is freezing cold out, blowing wind and raining? Darn you and your crazy laws Murphy!

I hope I see feet, I hope I see feet!
:lol::lol::lol: you totally have me laughing "her girly parts" . Yes, sometimes i think... wow, that calf is going to literally come sliding out if mom coughs!!!!!!! That's the way nature intended it to be i guess.
I hope all is well... update us!!!!!

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sort of a false alarm, which is a good thing because I have been down with the stomach flu since Thurs morn. Her back is starting to sink down around the hips and and she seems a little grumpy, she is still readily eating and doing her cow stuff so maybe she is going to wait for the crappy weather to come back tomorrow. My BF draught proofed the barn a little better and got our milking parlor under way. So it is okay for her to dawdle a little since we weren't quite ready. I finally have a good camera so I promise pics if you all want when the time comes.

redtailgal

Reaction score
lol, she pulled a good one on you.

Sounds like she is getting close. Watch her udder, it may get pretty big and even shiny. Those girly parts may start to look like she needs a wheelbarrow behind her. (GROSS ALERT) Most of ours will have some wet sloppy looking girly parts right before calving, and will "wink" at you when they walk. By "winking", I mean that each time one of the hind legs moves forward, the, um, opening of the girly parts will spread out, allowing you to see a flash of red and at times, fluid will drip with each step. Dont let the red freak you out, I've seen some heifers literally turn blood red or even purple in there before they deliver.

She may start pacing, laying down and getting up, even turning circles in the next day or so. Her hips will show more and more, she may end up looking bony and half starved, lol. And be very careful when handling her, they get the grumps pretty bad sometimes.

As for the back hunching, she has a lot of weight hanging off her back right now, and I suspect her back is aching a little. By arching that back, she is doing several things......shifting the weight to a different spot, stretching sore tired muscles, AND helping to get that baby into position.

Get you a five gallon bucket, and a jar of molasses. After she delivers, offer her a half a bucket of warm water with a cup or so of molasses in it, esp if it was a hard delivery. Dont try to make her drink it, just let her know it's there. It will help her gain some energy back faster, as well as give her a little iron boost.

Good luck, and I cant wait to see baby pics!

kelsey2017

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I also got some CMPK gel to give before and after. I was under the impression I should give it to her within 24 hours of delivery but that is kinda hard to figure out. I thought I might give it to her after she gets kind of out of it (I mean thinking hard about her labor) Or should I just wait for the gross alert signs and see if I can give it to her then?

She was very calm tonight and was in the barn under the red heat lamp just chillin' out. I put a red bulb in so I can peek at her and hopefully the light won't discourage her from birthing in the barn if she should do it at night. I just brushed her and rubbed her back awhile, she seemed to enjoy that. I assumed the back arching was also just plain discomfort too, she looks pretty miserable at times. I was wondering about locking her in at night but she makes much more of a mess, I just hope she is smart enough to go in the barn. She loves laying in there chewing her cud but I don't feed her inside unless it is really nasty weather.