WENT TO PICK UP NEW PONY......CAME HOME WITH "BONUS" PONY!!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am glad that the owner recognized that things weren't working, either for her or the ponies, and decided to sell them. I am also glad that you have the heart and the means to give these boys a much better life. But while the cause of Wilbur's incomplete shed could be a lack of the nutrients needed to grow replacement hair, since he is probably middle-aged or more, I'd have to consider Cushings as a possibility.:\

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope they don’t have Cushings. But if they do, they now have a good home.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wilbur is only 7 years old.....don't know if that means he might or might not have Cushings.....I don't know much about it....

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ok...I promised pics and here they are. I hesitated to post these, because our livestock area is SO muddy and a complete mess right now.....we had 2 days of pouring rain Saturday and Sunday night into Monday morning....Please know that it's not usually like this. There's quite a bit of poop just from the past 2 days.....I did scoop a lot of it after I got these pics, and do keep it much cleaner (I normally clean all the manure up on weekends (more during summer when I'm not working).
I hope I am not too harshly judged for the appearance of the pen....
I added a couple pics of my mini horse, Toby, for comparison. Yes, he's a tub right now. I'm hoping with the addition of new friends that he'll be more active and slim down a bit.
First pics are Wilbur, then Sam and last 2 are Toby.
20190924_190712.jpg
20190924_190802.jpg
20190924_190945.jpg
20190924_190905.jpg
20190924_190736.jpg
20190924_190816.jpg
20190924_190940.jpg
20190924_190959.jpg
20190924_190835.jpg
20190924_191003.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I expected a lot worse condition wise from your prior description. They are thinner than need be but, look to be able to rehab without a great deal of issue. :) Lovely, all. And mud? Hey, it happens!

See you are in Wilmington NC, not far from me -- 75 ish miles. It's warm -- why dry shampoo? Use a hose and some Mane & Tail shampoo & conditioner. A rubber scrubber and go for it. You will get out old dirt and grime that the dry won't touch. I used to wash, rinse and add back to leave in a little conditioner in their mane/tail to help with the coarse hair issue, breakage, less dirt collection. Plus, it keeps those features silky & so much easier to comb thru. :D =D Hey, a day at the "beauty shop" gives you a good feeling!! They will prance.:D

Saddles? wipe off well with warm water then apply a good leather conditioner, let it soak in! Leather is normally willing to forgive a lot of neglect, once treated a few times.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I expected a lot worse condition wise from your prior description. They are thinner than need be but, look to be able to rehab without a great deal of issue. :) Lovely, all. And mud? Hey, it happens!

See you are in Wilmington NC, not far from me -- 75 ish miles. It's warm -- why dry shampoo? Use a hose and some Mane & Tail shampoo & conditioner. A rubber scrubber and go for it. You will get out old dirt and grime that the dry won't touch. I used to wash, rinse and add back to leave in a little conditioner in their mane/tail to help with the coarse hair issue, breakage, less dirt collection. Plus, it keeps those features silky & so much easier to comb thru. :D =D Hey, a day at the "beauty shop" gives you a good feeling!! They will prance.:D

Saddles? wipe off well with warm water then apply a good leather conditioner, let it soak in! Leather is normally willing to forgive a lot of neglect, once treated a few times.

Thank you! I don't know why it shows I'm in North Carolina......I'm in northeast Indiana....but it is still warm enough to bathe them with water, so I think I will!
You're right.....they probably aren't as bad as it seems to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are thin, but not skeletal. Your pen makes me jealous, wish we had rain to settle the foot deep dusty sand! Beautiful ponies, you will have them fat and sassy in no time.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! This may be a dumb question, but can I use the hose (cold water) to bathe them or should I take buckets of warm water (or hot to mix with water from hose) out to use?

Latest posts