Wet straw

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have straw on the floor of my kids house. I think I'm going to switch to wood shavings. But I noticed that my boys hooves were damp when I went out this morning. The top of the straw is dry, but down in the bottom it's wet. Should I be turning the straw?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How often do you clean it? Could that be part of the problem?

Other people will probably be absolutely horrified, but I don't use bedding, except in the winter or in kidding time. It does save money!

But, in my defense, I do sweep and disinfect stalls out once a day for regular herd and twice a day for the two I am milking.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Straw is "non-absorbent" as it has a waxy coating. So (IMHO) it's pretty much useless as bedding where they'll be peeing and pooping. The bales make a pretty decent wind break, and making a big pile for them to bed down in when it's cold is beneficial I suppose, but to absorb moisture? not so much. I believe you'd do much better with wood chips or saw dust or the pellets they sell for horse stalls/bedding. If the moisture is settling below the bedding (straw) on the wood floor, you're asking for eventual wood rot issues as well as potential hoof issues.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How often do you clean it? Could that be part of the problem?

Other people will probably be absolutely horrified, but I don't use bedding, except in the winter or in kidding time. It does save money!

But, in my defense, I do sweep and disinfect stalls out once a day for regular herd and twice a day for the two I am milking.
They've only been out there a couple weeks. I kinda spot clean everyday, but I wasn't going to clean it out completely until fall, like I do with my chickens. They have a fenced in area outside, so they aren't in there a lot. I was just really surprised when I felt wet hooves :/

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Straw is "non-absorbent" as it has a waxy coating. So (IMHO) it's pretty much useless as bedding where they'll be peeing and pooping. The bales make a pretty decent wind break, and making a big pile for them to bed down in when it's cold is beneficial I suppose, but to absorb moisture? not so much. I believe you'd do much better with wood chips or saw dust or the pellets they sell for horse stalls/bedding. If the moisture is settling below the bedding (straw) on the wood floor, you're asking for eventual wood rot issues as well as potential hoof issues.
I've already decided to switch to wood shavings, but was hoping I could wait till I clean it out in the fall, but not sure I should wait :/

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They've only been out there a couple weeks. I kinda spot clean everyday, but I wasn't going to clean it out completely until fall, like I do with my chickens. They have a fenced in area outside, so they aren't in there a lot. I was just really surprised when I felt wet hooves :/

When I have hay down, I totally clean it out at least twice a week, and even then it is disgusting! Even stuff you don't see on top goes to the bottom. Yuck!

ETA: I am talking about stalls, not a whole barn or something.

Rescuechick76

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I have hay down, I totally clean it out at least twice a week, and even then it is disgusting! Even stuff you don't see on top goes to the bottom. Yuck!

ETA: I am talking about stalls, not a whole barn or something.
I don't have stalls or a whole barn, just a shed that's about 10x10, we converted it to a pretty cool house for them. But I see I'm gonna have to do something differently.