What breed are they?

Mrs.Gray1211

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
In September, we received a female pregnant ewe on a trade. Unbeknownst to us, she was pregnant. She birthed two lambs but only one survived.
The lamb is now five months old and has not gotten any bigger since about the eight week mark. We have a doper/black hawaiian lamb who was born one month prior and she is already twice her size.
Family visiting tells us she looks like a deer... google tells me that deer and sheep can mate?? We also think she looks similar to Barbado sheep or Mouflon.

My question is, do you know what breed she might be and/or do you know if we can have a DNA test on her so we know what she is? She is so beautiful and tiny. She is, however, the MOST skittish sheep we own.

This picture is from when she was about two weeks old- Mama sheep has the collar:
IMG_2817.jpg

This picture was taken last month. She has not grown any larger since this picture.
IMG_4049.jpg

She is hubby's favorite :love and he is so curious as to what breed she is!

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Google could be very wrong on that. Think about who might’ve loaded that information on the internet…….. some nerdy brainiac that has seen pictures of a deer and pictures of a sheep……

Look up breeds of hair sheep. You might get an idea of what they are. I can’t tell you why your lamb hasn’t grown, it could be that she was the smaller of the twins and is a runt.

I had a similar situation on twins, the bigger one died, the runt survived and was the pride and joy of his momma. No ewe could’ve had more milk and been a better mother. He was just a runt and didn’t grow off. I dubbed him Bunny because he looked like a rabbit.

Mrs.Gray1211

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Finnie - We don't know what breed Mama is, the person we got her from wasn't sure either. Our best guess was Mouflon.

@Baymule I absolutely know not to believe everything I read on the internet LOL And the article did state that the only "reported" case of such was from the UK in 1974. Another article stated that it is improbable, but not impossible. Mostly just curious if anyone had heard of this IRL... Or if anyone knew of a DNA test we could run.

Is it possible that she (and her offspring) are just a Heinz 57 of breeds? If there are multiple breeds in a herd, the rams don't discriminate, right?

Isaac

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The closest one I can find is a Morada Nova.