What breed?

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So would keeping 2 breeders (Boar and hog) be more expensive than buying feeders? We'de get breeders anyway but some members of the family don't support our 'addiction' (it is so not an addiction. we can quit whenever we want)

doo dah

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you add just the cost of buying the two breeders (a breeding pair would be more expensive than a couple of finisher pigs because of better quality) and the fact that you need to keep the breeding pair all year vs. a few months, then yes keeping two breeder hogs is more expensive. If you also count the piglets you'll get from the breeders and how much you can sell them for then only a breeder of that hog or someone who knows the going prices can give you the answer. This is all, of course, assuming that you CAN get finisher pigs from a breeder of these rare breeds. Does any of this help at all? :hu

Diamond Wire Farms

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I like Kune Kunes, but obviously I'm biased, because we raise them.
Where are you located? I can help you find a breeder in your area, if you would like to check out some Kunes in person.

They do have a hefty price tag to start a breeding program, but it seems you are looking for something quite rare, and Kune Kunes certainly fit the bill.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Diamond Wire Farms said:
I like Kune Kunes, but obviously I'm biased, because we raise them.
Where are you located? I can help you find a breeder in your area, if you would like to check out some Kunes in person.

They do have a hefty price tag to start a breeding program, but it seems you are looking for something quite rare, and Kune Kunes certainly fit the bill.
I'm located in northern WI. It's getts really really cold. like if you spit in the winter it would sometimes freeze before it hits the ground cold. like canada cold. like a winter or two ago it got -50 below cold. We're looking for something hardy. I like they're color and rarity and size and that even small they're a good meat pig and they're said calm temperment

foxywench

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
i know kunes can be used as meat, but have you looked at the price tag on kune kunes op?! to me they would be much more of an investment than id be willing to make on just breeding for little meat piglets...

if i were paying that kind of money for a id be going all out showing an dperfecting lines to at least make my investment cost back if nothing else...keep 1 or 2 for meaties, but id be making sure to polish those lines so that the other piglets could be sold to the kind of market willing to pay those prices for them.

i know your looking for "rare" but you can eat potbelly pig (i find it makes better sausage than hams lol) and the price tag is a little more "just for meat" friendly

dont get me worng, i LOVE kune kune pigs and its a breed id LOVE to own one day...
but i dont think kunes for the meat market would be the best choice lol.

unless money is no option, in which case ill take a couple too! :p

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
foxywench said:
i know kunes can be used as meat, but have you looked at the price tag on kune kunes op?! to me they would be much more of an investment than id be willing to make on just breeding for little meat piglets...

if i were paying that kind of money for a id be going all out showing an dperfecting lines to at least make my investment cost back if nothing else...keep 1 or 2 for meaties, but id be making sure to polish those lines so that the other piglets could be sold to the kind of market willing to pay those prices for them.

i know your looking for "rare" but you can eat potbelly pig (i find it makes better sausage than hams lol) and the price tag is a little more "just for meat" friendly

dont get me worng, i LOVE kune kune pigs and its a breed id LOVE to own one day...
but i dont think kunes for the meat market would be the best choice lol.

unless money is no option, in which case ill take a couple too! :p
well meat isn't my one and only purpose (though it is a big factor). If we get pigs it won't be until at least next spring so i have time to think it over