What breed?

SillyChicken

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
wow if you ever get another set of horns... I'd be interested!! And I mean any horns... I love horned/antlered skulls. I had a chance at a jacobs head (4 horn) but someone neglected to tell me the guy held it for me and he tossed it after a while... :(

bugs are the very best way to clean a skull... boiling makes the bones brittle and shrink, and they won' last as long. I've tossed deer skulls on top of my shed (on the opposite side of the house) by the end of summer, they're cleaned off.

PendergrassRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
annageckos said:
PendergrassRanch said:
Yup. Dog food.

I didn't just get them for their horns, I had no idea they had horns. Those are just a bonus. We reuse the entire animal. I have the hides salted and stored until the weather is fine enough to do something with them, the meat is in the freezer for the pups. The only thing we toss is the intestines and stomach contents,
My dogs love goat tripe (stomach). I wouldn't feed the intestines though, but the tripe is really good for them, and my picky dog loves it.
Yeah we toss the stomach contents as well as the intestinal tract.

annageckos

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I missed the 'contents' part, just saw stomach. :rolleyes: I need to slow down sometimes and reread things before typing.

flylo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They have the markings of the Oberhasli breed. I raised Oberhasli for over 20+ years. A shame that they will be killed without even the benefit of the meat going to some needy families.
If this "petting zoo" had any compunction, they'd make sure the horns came off before the goats went into the program. Besides the smell of an intact buck, the space between the horn is just right for a child's little arm to get wedged and those inside edges of horn are VERY sharp.

It would have cost very little for a vet to disbud and castrate the males at an early age, saving the bucks from the death sentence upon maturity. Wethers remain delightful pets on into adulthood, having the added benefits of being able to haul a small cart around for children, thus adding to the attraction of the petting zoo overall.

flylo

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Straw Hat Kikos said:
Well I personally am happy they had horns because now I get to hang them on my wall! haha
Lucky!
Beautiful bucks. Makes me want one. :p I love horns. If I get a little buck I'll just have to keep him with buds. ND horns, not too big, but so cool!
Actually would make me want some Kiko horns. hehe.
btw, love your new avvie Straw.