What can I do?

PalkoSYLV

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello folks, I am Palko from Toronto. I am interested in gardening and I own a small backyard farm with chickens. I usually collect chicken wastes and use it as a manure for my plants. Nowadays, some creatures are destroying my garden and are killing my chickens. This is for the first time. My neighbor's complain the same. First, we thought that it will be raccoons or skunks and planned to call any pest control service. But many of them confess raccoons and skunks does not attack chickens. How can I prevent this? I think it is better to fix a security camera in our locality. I was very interested in gardening and planted a variety of plants. But at night, it will be ruined by some animals. After this incident, I fixed a proper fence for chickens. All my surroundings are full of animal wastes in the morning. This spoils my day. What can I do?

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
First, welcome. Second, sorry about the losses. Third, racoons most definitely DO like to kill chicken and they find the head the best party.

Can you give us any detail on how they were killed. How you found them, time of day etc? Each predictor has their own special way of separating us from our flock.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us but sorry for the reason that brought you here. Raccoons and skunks definitely will and do kill chickens. Raccoons have been known to kill every one they can get to, just for the thrill of killing them. If they can reach through the fencing and grab them, they will do that too. Rats will also kill chickens. As Mystang said, a little more (as much as you can) info and maybe some pictures would be a huge help in determining what's going on.

There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!