What do you do about flies?

D and L Meadows

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have guinea fowl running with our goats and they do a great job of getting the fly larvae in the bedding. Also cleaning out often helps.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Years ago someone on BYC suggested the vanilla scented tree shaped car deoderizers for warding off flies in coops, sheds and shelters. At the time I lived where, twice a year after locals spread commercial chicken and turkey litter on hay fields, we'd get an enormous hatch of flies by the billions. They would get in your car, homes and buildings like the plague in Egypt.

Well, I put one of those trees in the truck and within a few hours, not a single fly. Put some up in the house...same result. Put some up in the coop and the same. Other folks tried just vanilla scent, vanilla extract or other vanilla items but seems like nothing worked like those little yellow trees!

Won't work while livestock are out on land, but hanging a few in sheds and shelters can't go amiss and I've seen some amazing things with them. They have the added benefit of making it smell like cookies in there as well.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Years ago someone on BYC suggested the vanilla scented tree shaped car deoderizers for warding off flies in coops, sheds and shelters. At the time I lived where, twice a year after locals spread commercial chicken and turkey litter on hay fields, we'd get an enormous hatch of flies by the billions. They would get in your car, homes and buildings like the plague in Egypt.

Well, I put one of those trees in the truck and within a few hours, not a single fly. Put some up in the house...same result. Put some up in the coop and the same. Other folks tried just vanilla scent, vanilla extract or other vanilla items but seems like nothing worked like those little yellow trees!

Won't work while livestock are out on land, but hanging a few in sheds and shelters can't go amiss and I've seen some amazing things with them. They have the added benefit of making it smell like cookies in there as well.
Fill a glass jar with apple cider vinegar and place a paper funnel in the jar. The scent will attract flies and the paper funnel will prevent them from flying out. Put several drops of Eucalyptus oil on ribbon or cloth strips and hang them near doors or windows.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

I read the same thing and hung those yellow scented trees in the chicken coop. It worked! My coop sure smelled good too.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I read the same thing and hung those yellow scented trees in the chicken coop. It worked! My coop sure smelled good too.
we can buy something that we hang here. like a sticky tape roll. it works extremely well..

Latest posts