What is it?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My American Blue buck had a loose tuft of fur on his cheek so I pulled it off. This (pictures) is what I got. The one picture is just where I pulled it apart. He seems to have several on his cheeks upon closer inspection. He also has a funky toenail on the front. No pic for that, but it just bled like crazy when hubs got up off the chair after his inspection and handed him to me. I saw it the other day when I was trimming their nails and didn't mess with it.
0681BD5A-4AF7-4640-B4C9-B5B60DF92754.jpeg
417870D2-2F11-4F31-AD9D-4F50964CBB6A.jpeg

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I managed to get a vet appt for tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll figure it out. It looked like our dog did whenever she had a skin infection.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Scab, possibly from an abscess or injury. If it is only in one place treat it and keep an eye out. I culled a kit that had 2 big abscesses, not sure why he had them. They were in the house and no one else had anything like that. It was several weeks ago, haven't seen any more.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I managed to get a vet appt for tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll figure it out. It looked like our dog did whenever she had a skin infection.
I thought the same thing reminded me how the dog's hair would look after a scab. Hopefully it's nothing major. Alot of that stuff can be treated with otc antibiotic cream. Learned that from Dr. Pol on t.v.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, after a nearly $200(!) vet visit, it turned out to possibly be from a recurring injury. The vet said she was able to line each side up identically from his chin to nearly his ears. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ She wonders if he is scraping it while eating or drinking. Doesnt make too much sense with his setup, but I will keep a close eye out. He also managed to pull off his toenail and it looked like an infection was starting to settle in. And, last but not least, he does not appear to have weepy eye and no eye injury either. But they're still wet. Im pretty sure I couldve gotten those meds otc much cheaper ☹️ Well, at least we’re established patients now so getting an appt should be a bit easier next time.
By the way, the office visit was $75, is that on par with anyone else? It seems a bit high but its been years since we took an exotic to the vet.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, after a nearly $200(!) vet visit, it turned out to possibly be from a recurring injury. The vet said she was able to line each side up identically from his chin to nearly his ears. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ She wonders if he is scraping it while eating or drinking. Doesnt make too much sense with his setup, but I will keep a close eye out. He also managed to pull off his toenail and it looked like an infection was starting to settle in. And, last but not least, he does not appear to have weepy eye and no eye injury either. But they're still wet. Im pretty sure I couldve gotten those meds otc much cheaper ☹️ Well, at least we’re established patients now so getting an appt should be a bit easier next time.
By the way, the office visit was $75, is that on par with anyone else? It seems a bit high but its been years since we took an exotic to the vet.
I can't swear to it but I paid about 80 , visit and meds last summer on 2 different visits. But she gave me 2 different diagnosis. Once was erlichia, second was p something can't spell. Antibiotic pill, and terramycin. Eye cleared, nose never did. Only one in town that I know will do rabbits.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
One word Cull. I'm sorry but I don't take rabbits to the vet. Give them meds or don't treat them or don't but I doubt you will ever get 200.00 out of that rabbit. It is not a dog. Vet office visit here is usually 40 just to walk in the door. But that's for dogs. If I had chickens and one was sick or injured I would treat it myself or cull it. Rabbits are livestock comparable with chickens. You couldn't afford to take a whole herd to the vet. Well I couldn't. Or wouldnt. That's why you selectively buy and breed and give good care to your animals. This new outlook where they are making laws so no one can own and breed livestock is ridiculous. And you can't grow food either. Trust me the huge cafos don't treat or care about animals. They are only concerned with bottom line. Oh sorry got me on a ranting day!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One word Cull. I'm sorry but I don't take rabbits to the vet. Give them meds or don't treat them or don't but I doubt you will ever get 200.00 out of that rabbit. It is not a dog. Vet office visit here is usually 40 just to walk in the door. But that's for dogs. If I had chickens and one was sick or injured I would treat it myself or cull it. Rabbits are livestock comparable with chickens. You couldn't afford to take a whole herd to the vet. Well I couldn't. Or wouldnt. That's why you selectively buy and breed and give good care to your animals. This new outlook where they are making laws so no one can own and breed livestock is ridiculous. And you can't grow food either. Trust me the huge cafos don't treat or care about animals. They are only concerned with bottom line. Oh sorry got me on a ranting day!
Take a breath you're gonna hyperventilate:duc.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I can't swear to it but I paid about 80 , visit and meds last summer on 2 different visits. But she gave me 2 different diagnosis. Once was erlichia, second was p something can't spell. Antibiotic pill, and terramycin. Eye cleared, nose never did. Only one in town that I know will do rabbits.
$80 for both the visit and the meds? Or just the general office visit? Why are they so hard to find?! Two different dx’s? Thats not good, but just like our care, they diagnose by ruling things out.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Its a good point. I do, generally, feel the same way. Im definitely going to put feelers out for another buck and once I get him, this one will be out of the breeding pool. I was truly shocked by the cost. Its ridiculous!
Im crossing my fingers that those new law proposals stay proposals. Its just stupid. Thats the only “nice” word for it.

Latest posts