What kind of sheep are these?

Kyleesowner

Just born
Reaction score
I was offered a trade for some baby goats for banded sheep. They are said to be 3 months old, but they do not know what kind they are. The person admitted to buying them from the auction they they were a few weeks old, and they have been bottle feeding them. Do they look healthy? Would they be good sheep for a first time sheep owner? Though I have had goats about 10 yrs.

Pics in next post

Kyleesowner

Just born
Reaction score
i540h0.jpg

35d92j7.jpg

35klqtt.jpg

30vnl0n.jpg

Kyleesowner

Just born
Reaction score
Just got a few from the seller just uploading them. Please look here in a minute or two. :) Thank you.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would say khatahdin or some mix there of.

Kyleesowner

Just born
Reaction score
SuburbanFarmChic said:
x2. They are def hair sheep. Unless you need them as lawn mowers, their destiny is the freezer.
I dont freezer anything our goats are dairy and our pets.

Do they look heathy? They are supposed to be 3 months.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In my limited knowledge I would say Katahdin cross too...I have some dorper crosses that look similar to the black and white one, but my purebred Katadin ram as that same black and white holstein look too. I am assuming that these are older pics and not them at 3 months old - they would be small for 3 month old sheep, especially the b&w one.

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
And that's fine. Just saying that castrated boy hair sheep have 2 uses. 1) Lawn mowing pets 2) meat. That's about it. If you are fine with them as pets, then get them as pets. Not everybody does meat animals, I just wanted to be sure you weren't after them for fiber, because they won't have any.

It's hard to tell health from a photo. I am always leery of anything that comes from a sale barn. At 3 months old the won't test accurately for either CL or CAE or much else. Those don't really show up until 6 months or so. Can't see anything but you'll have to decide for yourself. I'd keep them in quarantine for 45 days at least if you get them and watch for coughs, parasites, hoof issues, etc.

Worm the snot out of them and really disinfect their feet. IMO