What mill do you use?

Roving Jacobs

Seeing Spots
Reaction score
Bridgemoof said:
Yeah Roving, I got the impression that the mill we visited encouraged you to get them to wash the fleeces, because if they get a fleece in that isn't quite lanolin free it can mess up their drums. :hu

I found a mill relatively close to me in PA that can do my cormo. I would prefer to hand deliver my fleeces instead of shipping. What a pain. How do you even ship your fleeces? Or do you drop them off at a fiber festival?

Now you've sold me on the rug yarn idea. :D
Usually either my mom or I just drive to mills that are close enough to get to in a day but dropping them off at a fiber fest we're going to anyway is easier. I dropped off a big load at Great Lakes Fiber Show last year because there were a lot of good mills picking up there. The mill either calls us to pick it up when they are done or they mail it back in a giant box. I just had someone in OR buy 5 lbs of seconds from me and I just squished it as much as possible into a plastic lined box and dropped it at the post office. $16 for shipping! I gave them a deal on the fiber because it was unwashed seconds I wasn't doing anything with so they were happy to pay for shipping luckily.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohio Valley Natural Fibers is closing :( I'm sorry to find out about this, since they are one of the few mills I'd found that can handle longer fibers (12 inches plus). I don't know if they'll sell their equipment piecemeal, or try to find someone who wants it all, to start up another fiber mill.

I'm considering doing mine myself. I don't need mine spun into yarn, I just need it washed, picked and carded into roving. I have a drum carder now. I've been reading about the 'suint' method of washing fiber, and I'd like to try it - just have to wait for warmer weather. And I've seen plans to make your own wool picker (they look scary, but it's neat how they work). I may experiment with one fleece this next summer, just to see what it's like.