What NOT To Feed To Your Horse

chicks & ducks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
QUESTION.

If fresh grass clippings are a no-does that mean I should NOT let my horse graze in the front yard? We weren't planning on doing that often anyway because we don't want it to turn to mud from the weight of the horse-but she's only 8 months old right now so we thought it might be ok this summer. Is this a mistake?

(no chemicals or fertilizers on the grass, in case that's an issue)

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it's still not fully dry, that's bad. I'm guessing if its fully dry and 'grass hay' then the only issue would be the length could be too short and cause issues?

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Just want to add in reference to grass clippings- we bag our clippings and feed them to the horses...No issues so far :hu We pick anything up the next day that they haven't eaten, seeing how it gets moldy, especially on hot days.
Honestly the way I see it - feeding them the clippings is no different than letting them graze on the front yard (which I have done as well). I have a herd of 8 that I do this with, and have never had problems. From ponies, to drafts, to my Thoroughbred.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The difference between clippings from the lawn and grazing the lawn, is chance of fermentation and the smoke from mower
on the stuff you fed. Horse grazing a lawn (probably a bit high in sugar for the fat horses), eats grass that has no smoke on it,
no chance of oily residue gained during the cutting time. This was brought up at a clinic by a well known Vet giving a nutrition
talk. Testing the grass shows it was quite contaminated with residue from gasoline powered riding and push mowers. Made me
think about cut grass in a new light!

If you want to use up the lawn, let the horses graze it, THEN mow it back to even when they are done grazing.

Your lawn will probably have hoof marks in the surface after grazing, especially if the dirt is wet.

Cut grass ferments VERY fast, starts right after the longer leaves are removed, made in the piles you carry over to the horse.
A handful of the cut grass probably wouldn't hurt the horse, but you are taking chances with equines when you feed them
fresh cut lawn clippings. I know folks who feed the clippings regularly, no problems. Other folks fed the clippings once,
had to get the Vet out for colic issues in their equines.

You make your choices, take your chances with grass clippings as horse feed.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
I was told by veteran horse breeders that grass clipping can cause colic for horses so I don't feed them.