What should i get?

BuckzBarnYard1983

Just born
Reaction score
Ducks are absolutely fantastic, depending on where you live. Beautiful creatures. And their eggs are delectable, so much better than a chicken's! Also rasing them is comparable to rasing chickens, which you have experience doing. Best of luck. Buck.

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you all again! I will keep updating as we move and buy some animals, i am hoping to get the ducks before we move!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember that drakes are quiet, and ducks are noisy if noise is a problem. They are like chickens in reverse where roosters are noisy, and hens are quiet. Mature drakes have a sex-linked characteristic - they have a little curly tail which females lack. Chickens lay eggs just about every 24 hours, but ducks only lay eggs every 28 hours so you won't be collecting a duck egg every day. Also, if you want your ducks to raise ducklings you will have to supply a small wading pool for them. This is because duck eggs require some moisture in mom's feathers to hatch. Something about absorbing the moisture through the shells. In the wild ducks routinely nest around water where they swim and fish. Unless you have a pond on the property, you will have to supply water for them to bathe in to hatch their eggs, and a deep enough container for them to drink. Although I have heard of broody hens hatching a nest of ducklings. Chicken waterers

We love ducks and geese and plan to get some for our Texas pond.

Ilovemychicks08

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Remember that drakes are quiet, and ducks are noisy if noise is a problem. They are like chickens in reverse where roosters are noisy, and hens are quiet. Mature drakes have a sex-linked characteristic - they have a little curly tail which females lack. Chickens lay eggs just about every 24 hours, but ducks only lay eggs every 28 hours so you won't be collecting a duck egg every day. Also, if you want your ducks to raise ducklings you will have to supply a small wading pool for them. This is because duck eggs require some moisture in mom's feathers to hatch. Something about absorbing the moisture through the shells. In the wild ducks routinely nest around water where they swim and fish. Unless you have a pond on the property, you will have to supply water for them to bathe in to hatch their eggs, and a deep enough container for them to drink. Although I have heard of broody hens hatching a nest of ducklings. Chicken waterers

We love ducks and geese and plan to get some for our Texas pond.
Thank you for the info!

ricardomark

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot. We will be moving within the next 1-2 years, and when we move we will be buying land to raise animals on and live on. I have chickens and a dog right now what other animals can i get. Some info that would help is there are lots of coyotes where we will move to. I have looked into goats and would possibly get some, but i dont want sheep because of the wool. I have also looked into cows, but dont want dairy cows. What breeds would you reccomend for goats and cows or other animals?
such a great question its interesting i thought considering the presence of coyotes, consider getting guard dogs like Anatolian Shepherds or Great Pyrenees for your chickens and other animals. For goats, breeds like Boer or Kiko are hardy and good for meat production. As for cows, consider beef cattle breeds such as Angus or Hereford, which don't focus on dairy production.

Latest posts