What should I use to kill my rabbits???

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I found a youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYv...ing-and-eating-rabbit%252F%26has_verified%3D1

I did this broomstick method, yet I'm not sure if it was reflex jumping around, or if I botched it the first time. Ugh! I did it 3 times just to make sure. I couldn't tell by looking at the eyes, like described. :(

Oh well, I'm still proud that I processed my first rabbit, especially since my husband said he's not doing it anymore (he only did one), and I just bought two more breeders. :rolleyes:

None of the videos show the reflex jumping.............

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Bonking is the only thing that ever made sense to me - quick and easy. Just don't be timid about it; hit hard and do it right the first swing. Beginners get into trouble by not hitting hard enough. Old timers almost invariably use the old fashioned rabbit chop to do the job. The object is to strike right where the skull meets the backbone so you seperate it at that point. The rabbit never knows what happened till it wakes up in bunny heaven.
If you aren't going to save the hides take a sharp knife and cut a slit in the middle of the back and insert the fingers of both hands. Pull in opposite directions and the skin peels off in both directions to the head and hind feet. Seperate the head and feet and there you are.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hoodat said:
If you aren't going to save the hides take a sharp knife and cut a slit in the middle of the back and insert the fingers of both hands. Pull in opposite directions and the skin peels off in both directions to the head and hind feet. Seperate the head and feet and there you are.
We skin that same way and have for years. So fast, easy and clean. No needing a second person or to wire the carcass up if alone to get a grip for skinning it, no cutting around the feet first with all that fur getting everywhere.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dewey said:
hoodat said:
We skin that same way and have for years. So fast, easy and clean. No needing a second person or to wire the carcass up if alone to get a grip for skinning it, no cutting around the feet first with all that fur getting everywhere.
The only reason to hang them is if you are saving the hides.

wYs Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like to use a pull board. If using cervical dislocation as the method. I prefer this over the stick method because there is too much time between getting the stick in place, applying pressure and then finally killing it.

With the pull board you slide the rabbits neck in a groove and pull down quickly.

1772_board.jpg

Weedchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wys, could you give dimensions for the pull board? Specifically, how much the opening narrows down? Thanks!

rabbitman

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree rabbitgeek thank you along with the rest of you. And yes I would also like to see the demisions..

rabbitgeek

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
norcal said:
I did this broomstick method, yet I'm not sure if it was reflex jumping around, or if I botched it the first time. Ugh! I did it 3 times just to make sure. I couldn't tell by looking at the eyes, like described. :(

Oh well, I'm still proud that I processed my first rabbit, especially since my husband said he's not doing it anymore (he only did one), and I just bought two more breeders. :rolleyes:

None of the videos show the reflex jumping.............
With bonking, or broomstick there is often reflexive muscle jerking. This does not mean you did it wrong.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

norcal

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rabbitgeek said:
With bonking, or broomstick there is often reflexive muscle jerking. This does not mean you did it wrong.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
Thank you for answering that.....