What time of year do Pygmy goats have kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muscovy94

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello everyone. 4 months ago i purchased a cute little bottle baby pygmy goat. Her name was annabelle and she was grey agouti. she was the runt of the litter and cute as can be. Well we let her out during the day to eat grass and run around and we have neighborhood dogs that have gotten many of our chickens and last night i dreadfully watched as i saw a dog dragging my little annabelle across the yard. I went and got my gun and shot in the air to scare the dog away but it was too late. He had killed her. It was horrible. I know I"ll never be able to replace her, but we have decided to buy another bottle baby and raise it and keep a closer eye out for the dang dogs. I was just wondering, when do pygmy goats usually kid?

RIP annabelle: July 4, 2009 - November 14, 2009. We'll never forget you <3

muscovy94

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm not going to press charges, But after i saw the dog with annabelle dead I called the man and informed him very nicely that if i see the dog on my property again it will be shot.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's terrible, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I would never allow any of my goats to be out, unprotected from preditors. It happens too fast and even the friendly neighborhood dogs will see a goat as prey. Do you have a penned in area for your goat when you aren't outside supervising her play? If not, then that would be my first order of business before bringing in another little goat.

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I hope you are at least charging the owner some sort of fee for what you paid for her or the going rate for a doeling her age in your area. Money is the only way into some peoples brains and by making them shell some out might be the best way to get them to keep a closer eye on their dog. sorry about your little girl

Cottage Cheese

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am EXTREMELY sorry to hear that! We have had our 2 pygmy's for about 5 months, and yes, they breed year round. Our girls momma just had triplets on thursday!!!

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, and given your situation I would NOT allow the next goats out of their pen, it is just too dangerous.

Cottage Cheese

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ETA: we let our girls out, but PLEASE, if you do,,,, DONT disbud them!!! They have a much better chance of getting out of a pickle with them on.

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
muscovy94 said:
Hello everyone. 4 months ago i purchased a cute little bottle baby pygmy goat. Her name was annabelle and she was grey agouti. she was the runt of the litter and cute as can be. Well we let her out during the day to eat grass and run around and we have neighborhood dogs that have gotten many of our chickens and last night i dreadfully watched as i saw a dog dragging my little annabelle across the yard. I went and got my gun and shot in the air to scare the dog away but it was too late. He had killed her. It was horrible. I know I"ll never be able to replace her, but we have decided to buy another bottle baby and raise it and keep a closer eye out for the dang dogs. I was just wondering, when do pygmy goats usually kid?

RIP annabelle: July 4, 2009 - November 14, 2009. We'll never forget you <3
I suggest researching predator control, and how to erect proper fencing to keep goats protected. You won't have to worry about when they give birth, if they don't live long enough to reproduce. Horns on one baby pygmy goat are no match for a dog. She'll be dead long before they grow in.

Status
Not open for further replies.