What to Use as Dewormer (Pygmies)

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi, it is time for Bonnie, Clyde, Bobo, and Scout to be dewormed. My go to place is Tractor Supply, and would like to know what to get for them and how much to give them? Not many companies make dosages for such small goats. My biggest billy is 21 inches at the shoulder, if that helps. Do i use horse ivermectin, just in a very small doasage? If so, how much?
I have searched "goat dewormer" on the tractor supply website and found many option but I haven't the slightest clue what to use. I would GREATLY appreciate if an experienced goat raiser would search the website for goat dewormer and provide info on which will work best for my goats. Also, are there any vaccines that I need to give them? Ones that I can buy myself and provide them with on my own to save a lot of money. My vet told me they'd charge 100$ per goat for 2 vaccines and tests

Last edited:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I use injectable Ivermectin given orally. 1cc per 40lbs. Just draw it up into the syringe and remove the needle and squirt it in their mouth.

As far as vaccines, you can get CD&T at TSC. It is 2cc per goat, no matter how much the goat weighs. They need it once a year.

What tests were you wanting to get?

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use injectable Ivermectin given orally. 1cc per 40lbs. Just draw it up into the syringe and remove the needle and squirt it in their mouth.

As far as vaccines, you can get CD&T at TSC. It is 2cc per goat, no matter how much the goat weighs. They need it once a year.

What tests were you wanting to get?
Thanks, I found it at TSC but I didn't know if that was what I needed. What other vaccines are necessary? Do they need rabies vaccines? I am not entirely sure how to give vaccines myself, so I'll need advice.

I'm not sure what tests I need, I've just heard you need to have your herd tested for certain diseases and wasn't sure exactly what those were.

How often do they need dewormer? And there are different kinds of ivermectin, can you be more specific please?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would get a fecal before and after deworming them. That way you know what you have and if your dewormer is working.

I see you live in GA. In FL where I live, parasites have become very resistant to ivermectin and I have been encouraged by my vet to use Cydectin. If you choose to use Cydectin, the most economical option I think would be to use the horse paste, Quest, with moxidectin in it, the same thing as Cydectin. The dosage I have been given for that is 1 cc per 100 pounds. Do not overdose or estimate the right amount.

I get the CDT shot at TSC. Not expensive at all. Like @babsbag said, the dosage is 2 cc sub-q and then another 2 ccs 3-4 weeks later, then annually. There are lots of great videos online demonstrating how to do it.

ETA: Cydectin is a dewormer, it does NOT kill coccidia or all worms. A fecal really is important to know what you are dealing with.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
You really need to be doing fecal counts (McMasters is best) to evaluate whether or not they need dewormed. Deworming on a set schedule sets your farm up for drug resistant parasites. It is important to do it on a as-needed basis.

You also need to know what parasites you are treating. Not all dewormers are created equal, some will treat baberpole worms but not Liverflukes for example. If they have cocci a dewormer won't do a thing as cocci are not worms.

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You really need to be doing fecal counts (McMasters is best) to evaluate whether or not they need dewormed. Deworming on a set schedule sets your farm up for drug resistant parasites. It is important to do it on a as-needed basis.

You also need to know what parasites you are treating. Not all dewormers are created equal, some will treat baberpole worms but not Liverflukes for example. If they have cocci a dewormer won't do a thing as cocci are not worms.
As with the shots, I do not know how to do fecal either. I would like to know if they need worming or if those things work.
As for the CD&T I found at TSC, there are three different bottles. Does it matter which I get?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I found it at TSC but I didn't know if that was what I needed. What other vaccines are necessary? Do they need rabies vaccines? I am not entirely sure how to give vaccines myself, so I'll need advice.
I do not give the rabies vaccine. Not many people do. I think @OneFineAcre does. You may or may not be allowed to order the rabies vaccine online in your state. If you do it yourself, you will have no "proof" they are vaccinated.

I'm not sure what tests I need, I've just heard you need to have your herd tested for certain diseases and wasn't sure exactly what those were.
CAE, CL, and Johnes are common diseases to do a blood test for. Drawing blood is difficult for the inexperienced. We had the vet draw the first time, and my dad has done it. I can't.;)
As with the shots, I do not know how to do fecal either. I would like to know if they need worming or if those things work
To do a fecal you need a microscope, slides (preferably McMaster), fecal flotation solution, a small scale measuring grams ( you can order online for about $7), and a few other things. @Southern by choice has written a great article on doing that.
As for the CD&T I found at TSC, there are three different bottles. Does it matter which I get?
Make sure you are getting the CD/T shot. NOT tetanus toxoid, tetanus antitoxin, or C&D antitoxin (I don't think TSC carries C&D antitoxin anyways).

Lanthanum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I do not give the rabies vaccine. Not many people do. I think @OneFineAcre does. You may or may not be allowed to order the rabies vaccine online in your state. If you do it yourself, you will have no "proof" they are vaccinated.

CAE, CL, and Johnes are common diseases to do a blood test for. Drawing blood is difficult for the inexperienced. We had the vet draw the first time, and my dad has done it. I can't.;)

To do a fecal you need a microscope, slides (preferably McMaster), fecal flotation solution, a small scale measuring grams ( you can order online for about $7), and a few other things. @Southern by choice has written a great article on doing that.

Make sure you are getting the CD/T shot. NOT tetanus toxoid, tetanus antitoxin, or C&D antitoxin (I don't think TSC carries C&D antitoxin anyways).
The CD&T they carry is one that says "Goat Vac CDT" and the other says "Bar-Vac CD/T"

Will I be able to just take the goats to the vet to get their blood drawn and a fecal done?

And is CDT the only vaccine I need?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The CD&T they carry is one that says "Goat Vac CDT" and the other says "Bar-Vac CD/T"
I have used both. @Goat Whisperer which one did you say you only use? I forgot.
Will I be able to just take the goats to the vet to get their blood drawn and a fecal done?
You don't have to take the goats to the vet to get a fecal. You just bring in the poop.;)

You could call around different vets and ask what they charge to JUST draw the blood and tell them you will ship it off and everything. They might be able to teach you how to do it yourself. It is between you and the vet about where it is done- your house or the vet. It will probably be less expensive if you come to them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I advise you stick with the vet appointment.
First- you need to build a relationship with your vet and this is how you will get to know your vet.
Second- without experience in giving vaccines this is a good opportunity for you to learn and ask questions.
Third - you will get to see what protocol your vet uses with regard to deworming and coccidia prevention etc.
This is a good time to ask about the Rabies vaccine.

Fecal analysis should be Mc Masters - it is the only effective measurement for bloodsucking worms and goats are not dogs- you don't deworm just because there are a few eggs this leads to resistance.

Testing- CAE is critical. CL is also a very good option and if old enough-Johnes One blood draw and tests can be sent out.
Find out how much that cost and what lab they are using. Pricing can really vary.
Make sure YOU receive a PAPER copy of the results, do NOT accept a phone call. You pay for it you should have the copy of the report. This is important because it minimizes errors.

You can also ask how to hoof trim etc.
Sometimes the expense of building that relationship is very worth it. As you grow in goat ownership and educate yourself your vet will be able to work with you much easier.