What would you do if she was your goat? PICS

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
8149_img_1331.jpg

8149_img_1333.jpg

8149_img_1332.jpg

8149_img_1334.jpg

She is over 2 years old and definitely small in stature but her sister who is only slightly bigger did just fine bred to a Nubian buck. The breeder had sold them because she thought they were too small to breed to a full size buck (but the sister must have been accidentally bred days before I bought her). I have a 5 month old Nubian buckling who is a good size but definitely "dairy type" with long body, lots of legs and smallerish head. I would breed her in the fall when she starts cycling again. She looks amazing, I have never seen a coat shine like her's does and she has greatly improved since we got her in January when she had a fish tale and bare nose...and everyone swears she has grown since I have had her here.

Also, I also purchase a ND buckling to breed her but he is WAY too small to do the job and I don't really want to wait two years before I breed her when he gets enough height to do the job.

What do you think, would you do is she was your goat?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you asking if you should breed her to a Nubian because she is small in stature?

I think you should. She may be small for a 2 year old, but she' s large enough to breed.

Many standard goat breeders will not keep a doeling who they can't breed at 7-9 months old because they don't want slow growers that they will have to keep until they are a year and half old to breed.

Plus, it sounds like maybe she had some nutritional deficiencies when you got her. She' definitely large enough to breed to a full size buck now.

She's a very nice looking animal.

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
Are you asking if you should breed her to a Nubian because she is small in stature?

I think you should. She may be small for a 2 year old, but she' s large enough to breed.

Many standard goat breeders will not keep a doeling who they can't breed at 7-9 months old because they don't want slow growers that they will have to keep until they are a year and half old to breed.

Plus, it sounds like maybe she had some nutritional deficiencies when you got her. She' definitely large enough to breed to a full size buck now.

She's a very nice looking animal.
x2

xa.logan

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You could always just hold the Nigerian while... nevermind. :lol:

She looks beautiful! That is my absolute favorite color. I think it is pretty when swirled around with white. But maybe Texas has made me too much of a UT fan. :cool:

Edit: Just like the colors of most of your kids on your kids page, OFA. Love that reddish-brown and white color.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Well that settles it...I get to breed her and get registered babies!!! :clap:clap

Not bad for a $100 malnourished goat....her coat colours have also really improved since getting on pasture too. She used to be so homely looking and now she has turned into quite the looker. It even seems that her legs have straightened out? She used to look really pigeon toed (in at the knees and splayed out at the hoof, it used to really bug me) and now I can't even see an ackward stance...would they straighten out with better feed and growth? :hu

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is beautiful! My alpine had terrible twisted lags as a kid. It killed me to show the poor thing, because I knew the judge would see those legs and to the bottom of the class she goes. However, we just showed her as a yearling and she placed 4th out of 15 alpine does! Her legs are not bad at all anymore, and she has matured into quite a nice goat if I do say so myself. :) I just love watching them grow up!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
meme said:
She is beautiful! My alpine had terrible twisted lags as a kid. It killed me to show the poor thing, because I knew the judge would see those legs and to the bottom of the class she goes. However, we just showed her as a yearling and she placed 4th out of 15 alpine does! Her legs are not bad at all anymore, and she has matured into quite a nice goat if I do say so myself. :) I just love watching them grow up!
Congrats on the placing...good to know that there is hope for some of those that need some time to grow up. I almost feel bad for the girl I bought them from because she held onto them for 2 years hoping they would grow so she could breed them, and they seemed to get their spurt in the past 4 months at my place! Although I think they are getting much better care here, which may have something or everything to do with their growth.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
You've done a great job with her. She looks very healthy. Nice shiny coat. Very nicely conditioned.

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
woodsie said:
meme said:
Congrats on the placing...good to know that there is hope for some of those that need some time to grow up. I almost feel bad for the girl I bought them from because she held onto them for 2 years hoping they would grow so she could breed them, and they seemed to get their spurt in the past 4 months at my place! Although I think they are getting much better care here, which may have something or everything to do with their growth.
Care definitely has a lot to do with it. Your girl's legs look fine to me. She could be a bit straighter in the hocks, but they definitely aren't bad! :)