What would you do with this corn crib?

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
So this is my favorite building on our new farm:love. It's a 1940's 80' x 28' grainary/corn crib. Has 3 stories, designed to store different grains. I know our plans and hope to share as we make the improvements. But as the appraisals showed it's value as ZERO! :hide I think on here we all could find a use for a 80' building. What's your ideas?
NCM_0022.JPG
NCM_0025.JPG
NCM_0023-1.JPG

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Not exactly sure how a "corn crib" works, or how it's laid out inside, structural, etc. Pretty obvious that the walls aren't solid and are designed for continuous air flow. Looks like a concrete foundation so I assume there's a concrete floor inside? What are the heights of the ceilings on the three levels? Might not be able to fit heavy farm machinery inside... Can you share some inside pics?

Carla D

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That is a very promising building there. Being you are in Indiana I’m thinking you can get a bit cool during winter time. It may not be severe, I don’t know. But from the size of the front doors it looks about as tall as ours . We can’t fit huge equipment in ours, but we can fit a grain mill, a bobcat tractor and some medium tractors in it. You could possibly make some kidding pens, a couple of sick/isolation bays, maybe an access point so some animals can come in and out of the weather or cold. A months worth of hay, feed, supplies so they are easily available. A smaller area set up for when a vet may come to look at an animal or a showing room for anything you may possibly selling. A tool shed. That could be the bottom floor. Grain, hay, feed supplies on an upper level. An off the wall idea but what about a “man cave” or a “personal retreat” if the access to an upper level is fairly easy. Just a few ideas. It doesn’t have to be used for farm related activities either. In Wisconsin/Minnesota many older but sturdy structures are rented out as party space, or rent out sections to other people for storage. You have a whole lot of options, I think. Have fun with it. Use some creativity.