When do you help?

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Maybe I should start a new thread, not sure. But I have another question. Kids are 8 days old and doing so well. Their nesting box is a cardboard box inside the little den of the two story hutch. Den is up, mom hangs out on the lower level most of the day. Food and water are up top near the hole for the ramp. The kits are getting bigger and jumpy and I'm worrying they'll hop out over the next few days while we're gone camping, and not be able to get back in. I was thinking of covering the access hole to the bottom and having mom up to for the time we're gone, but would that stress her out? Enough to make her not care for her kits? Here's a picture of the inside of the den. Will they hop over that edge? I could probably remove some hay so they are lower, away from the edge. I think the entire lower half is hay. 20220706_065201_807.jpg

barefoot_bast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If the kits don't have a way to get out of their cage / run, I would tip the nest box over so that they can get back in if they get out. Eyes will open around day 10, and usually little baby bucks start exploring around day 12. Does tend to be lazier, generally, and I have found will stay in the nest an extra week.

I raise Rex and Jersey Wooly; Lionheads may be different.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh okay. My concern was going to be them exploring out of the den and possibly falling down to the bottom, not able to get back up. Maybe I'll have my husband as a little lip to the bottom of the den entrance instead and tip the box before we leave? My daughter is panicking and doesn't even want to go on her favorite campout of the year.

barefoot_bast

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Am I understanding correctly that the nest box is on the second story of the rabbit area?
I would just move the nest box to the lowest level, and tip it on its side if you're going to be gone for a while.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Am I understanding correctly that the nest box is on the second story of the rabbit area?
I would just move the nest box to the lowest level, and tip it on its side if you're going to be gone for a while.
Yes, it's up top in the enclosed (with an opening for mom to get in and out), wooden den. The bottom is more of a wire enclosed run, more exposed. The bottom is hardware cloth.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We'll be home on Sunday which I think would be day 12.

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How big is the upper half? Is there enough room for the food and water and moma, up there?

LilTxFarmer

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes, there is! Thanks for the photos. I would do just like you said, close off the top from the bottom and let them stay up there, till you get back. They should be just fine.

KatieOH

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yes, there is! Thanks for the photos. I would do just like you said, close off the top from the bottom and let them stay up there, till you get back. They should be just fine.
Thank you so much! Should I flip the box or leave it as is so they can get back to it if they climb out?