When to wean when does are expecting agian

Zorander

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi! I have a couple questions about weaning. I'll tell you about the rabbits then ask my questions. I'm new to raising rabbits. This will be my second litter. I got my does in the begining of Sept. They came bred.

I have 2, 1.5 year old Giant Chinchilla does. They gave birth to a total of 19 kits 7 weeks ago. The kits are doing great. The moms and the kits are all free range during the day in my backyard(completely rabbit proof). At night they all go into a giant hutch. The kits have been eating alfalfa pellets, grass hay and a varitety of greens and friuts. (started out slow with the veggies and fruits and they've been thriving) The does are due in twelve days for their second litter with me. I've built a giant kennel for the grow out pen for the kits for when they are weaned. The moms and the kits enjoy each other immensly, maybe due to the large space they all share. Also, once the does have kindled I will give them a couple days in the hutch then I will let them out during the day and put them with their new kits at night.

Question #1 As long as the does are accepting can the older kits still be with the does full time until day 28 of the does pregnancy when the nest box goes in?
Question #2 Once the does have kindled and had a few days rest in their hutch will they be able to be out during the day with the older kits? At that point the older kits will be 8.5 weeks

Zorander

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, here's a few pics of my buns 217.jpg 369.jpg026.jpg

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1. 5 days before she is due.
2. Yes, but they will be more protective of the young ones.
I would separate then in few days to give the does some personnal time.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
A week after I separated my first littler from their mother I went out to weigh them. Because I didn't want to have to put them back into their cage until after all the buns were weighed I thought I could put them in with their mother, one by one, until they had all been weighed, at which point I would put them all back in their own cage. While weighing the second kit I heard a commotion in the mother's cage. She was chasing her kit. The look in her eyes wasn't very comforting, and the fear in his eyes told me he wasn't feeling the love... I think if she had caught up with him before I was able to pull him out he would have never made it.

If you put them back together, my advice is to stick close to make sure no one gets hurt.

Zorander

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I think I will start having the does be put in their hutch without the kits starting tonight and see how everyone does.
Last time they kindled was the first time they had kindled togather in the same hutch. They did wonderful. This time they are even digging a hole together lol. Once day 28 hits I keep them in their hutch until a couple days after they kindle. 1. Make sure they kindle in the hutch and 2.To give them a little rest. Last time when I finally let them out of the hutch aftewr a few days rest they were so exstatic but they would run up the ramp to their hutch occasionally to check on the kits.

Zorander

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you put them back together, my advice is to stick close to make sure no one gets hurt.
Do you mean in a pen together at night or just out in the yard together? Once they have kindled they will not be with with their kits at night anymore but I was hoping to have them all out in my huge yard together all day like they have been. If it comes down to it I will split my yard in half but I'm hoping they can live harmoniously until the kits are sexually mature or big enough to butcher, whichever comes first.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
In my short experience of raising does I've seen how a mom could try to attack a kit that was no longer staying in her cage once they were put together again. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but that it COULD happen. Personally, it would take a lot to make me try that after the experience I've had with them.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I always wean the kits around 6 weeks of age when their mother is 1 1/2 weeks pregnant. I leave one or two kits with her depending on litter size for a couple days to dry the off easy. I like my does to be dried off for about 2 weeks before they kindle again. It seems to help them be more productive.

Zorander

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I thought I would update, thanks for all your great replies!!
I put the does in their hutch on day 28 and kept them in there 2 days after they had kindled. Then put them back in my backyard with supervision with their older kits during d u r in day and in I nye hutch at night to nurse . They were perfectly fine. I think the reason being as they get a ton of exercise and have a huge amount of space and they are a resist laid back bunnies. Since then I have processed all of the older kits except for 2, which will be my next generation breeders.
When the weather turned nasty (-30°) I brought both does, all their newly born kits and their 2 older kits inside and put them into a large kiddy pool with an ex pen around it in my dining room, they did fantastic. I think I'm really lucky with my two breeder does, they have absolutely amazing temperaments!!!