Whoa, LGD finally viewing humans as predators!

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I put a working dog sign on the gate, then a much meaner looking guard dog sign 100 yards deep after someone opened my gate and walked back over 200 yards until they ran into my son. Another 100 yards and they will meet Toli.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Our pyr/Bernard mix boy is not quite 1 year yet, September 21st is his bday. He is JUST starting to learn to sound the alarm. He would still probably help you rob us but Sunday night when my husband got home he was on his motorcycle in a helmet and leather jacket, he lost it. Last night I honestly thought he was going to go through the window at his friend whom he usually loves but mamma was home alone and he snuck up on us. He is starting to show that he is uneasy when dad is away as well. Always alert and sleeps light at night. Our window is cracked from him hitting the window once while we were not home. But at the same time, he has allowed the UPS and FedEx guys into the house without so much as a boof.... As long as I put my hand on him and tell him ok, he will calm down. Still on guard but not to the extent he was at before I do it. Our Collie is the one we know would attack if someone came in to try to harm us and I have never once had to so much as feel uneasy with someone. She knows who is good. It is some amazing ability she has had from the beginning. She sounds the alarm with everyone she meets mostly because she loves people but after one sniff she will know if they are "good" or "bad" people. If she is unsure of someone or acting unusually protective (I can read her well) I know they are not people I want to be around. She has not been wrong yet and she's been doing it since we brought her home at 8 weeks old. Thankfully the Pyr/bernard pup has imprinted on her and even though he acts like a dummy, he is smarter than he leads on :lol:

mikiz

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have an LGD, but my Chi is a great human guard dog. If she knows I don't want someone around, or if someone comes over that I'm not expecting, she won't stop barking at them until I tell her it's ok and will usually jump up on my lap to say don't come near us. If it's someone I want around, like my mum or certain friends, she doesn't make a peep after the first "omg there's someone here" alert.
Honestly it's probably not healthy for her to be worrying so much every time someone comes over so I am slowly training her out of it, and she's ok once she's met someone a few times now.
Nobody would ever be able to steal her though because she'll only let me or "dad" pick her up, nobody else can even talk to her without her being suspicious and backing off a few feet.

Scooby308

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had never had a Doberman but always wanted one. My Rottie, was a pound rescue and turned 14 this year. She is the best trained dog you will ever meet. Answers to verbal signals in English and German. She also obeys hand signals. We've been together for 12 years and she reads my mind. Anyway, the wife thought if I had a pup it would help me mentally. I cracked my lower spine 3 years ago and it will never heal. So a year and 5 months ago she surprised me with a Dobie pup. I didn't know the breed other than what I had read and we later found out the breeder was less than reputable. All that said, I will never own another breed for in the house personal protection companion. He is such a spoiled turd, but the smartest most easily trained dog I have ever owned. He should have been named Scooby cause he acts like him, gentle loving caring easy going. But a stranger shows up and he's a different dog. Scare the bejebus outta folks. He goes everywhere with me including in stores. He minds his manners and is never cross. If I stop he sits behind me and leans on my kegs watching my back. My Rottie is super protective but hates strangers. I couldn't take her in a place at all. He will not let someone walk up behind me without a growl. I say it's ok, let it go and he stops. Just a great breed.

photo-1.JPG
image-1.jpeg
image-2.jpeg
image-3.jpeg
photo.JPG

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just in the past week my Anatolian x Pyr has started barking at night when suspicious things are nearby. He's 9 months old and he has a very loud deep bark. :love He's growing into the guardian I hoped he'd become. He doesn't just bark to bark.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter; an LGD that doesn't bark at the moon, the stars, the sun, the leaves, the butterflies, the birds and everything else in this world is worth his weight in gold...I had one of those once. :barnie My current dogs bark when needed which is great, but the scary part is that they have been barking A LOT the last few months...what is out there? I can't just pretend it is a falling leaf.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, considering the source of my LGD, I really wasn't worried that he'd be anything less than the best available! I really do need to get him a partner though. He needs a full time night time companion and partner. Seeing him alert with his hackles up is pretty intense. Add the deep growl, and bark, and I don't seriously worry about intruders too much. But he is still pretty young and unseasoned. Though yeah, I definitely can see your concern when you can't tell what's getting them stirred up. Especially when it's happening often! Hope your dog and herd are safe.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, considering the source of my LGD, I really wasn't worried that he'd be anything less than the best available! I really do need to get him a partner though. He needs a full time night time companion and partner. Seeing him alert with his hackles up is pretty intense. Add the deep growl, and bark, and I don't seriously worry about intruders too much. But he is still pretty young and unseasoned. Though yeah, I definitely can see your concern when you can't tell what's getting them stirred up. Especially when it's happening often! Hope your dog and herd are safe.

One of the reasons "Mel" was selected was for your environment A) companion dog first B) potential guardian later and C) you are in a neighborhood. Several of the other pups would be a nightnare for you in that regard- as they bark ALOT. Glad he kept with the low bark level. His sire "D" is not a barker except for when he needs to and it doesn't go on forever. Toil's seem to be annoying barkers more often than not.
Mel should be fine as a single because primarily he is companion. Many of our pups go to single LGD homes and yes boredom is tough a little in the first year but no issues and they are all fine. As long as they get that exercise and their human companionship. Problems arise when they just have to sit around with no stimulation for 24/7.

Timberdoodle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay, my LGD has been amazing after working through some growing pains in his "teenage" phase.

I never really thought he would ever see humans as potential predators. He's always been such a big goofball and very friendly to everyone. Lately however, he's been doing some serious barking from his side of the fence any time he sees a stranger. Or even a person he's met before but doesn't see very often.

Today, I had a visitor that he's met before and I was standing right there. We were about 8 feet from the fence. Alex, the dog, came over, jumped up at the fence and began barking, then began growling... a very serious, I mean business growl. He even started to quiver all over, and his lips were pursed very tightly (not bearing his teeth). He kept this up, even when I told him to relax.

I went to the fence, and I was able to pet him, he didn't wag his tail though. He was still leery of my visitor.

I'm quite surprised. I honestly never thought I would see behavior like that out of him. Now I'm concerned about potential dog bites. I guess I'd better make sure he stays securely contained within our fences so that he doesn't wander and become a liability?

I am pleased that he's becoming so protective. Too bad I can't have him guard the house!

IMO, this is what LGDs do. Be careful though, the courts don't always recognize this. See:
http://www.postindependent.com/news/20679881-113/mountain-bike-dog-attack-case-ends-with-1

Dogs doing their jobs vs ignorant and/or arrogant recreationists.