Why myotonic goat doesn’t faint

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m aware they don’t actually faint and I’m also aware there’s varying degrees the muscles may tighten. I heard a while ago it’s because they aren’t purebred do anyone know if there’s any truth to this?

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Interesting, when I brought mine one would faint and the other wouldnt even slightly stiffen. These came from a reputable breeder who claimed they was all purebred. I suspected some NG because of their small size

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do all of your purebreds faint?
They do - the bucks more than the does. They all tend to get accustomed to things and don't lock up as often. My bucks get overly excited about feeding time and will lock up just for feed, lol.

Personally, I hate that particular breed characteristic. I got Myotonics for their meatiness and to cross with some other breeds I have. I'm thrilled that the crosses don't lock up.

410farmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They do - the bucks more than the does. They all tend to get accustomed to things and don't lock up as often. My bucks get overly excited about feeding time and will lock up just for feed, lol.

Personally, I hate that particular breed characteristic. I got Myotonics for their meatiness and to cross with some other breeds I have. I'm thrilled that the crosses don't lock up.
What do you cross them with? I thought about crossing with boer or kiko but I figured I would get less meat since most myo are smaller

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
A really good Myotonic is a meaty little bugger. This is one of my bucks at less than a year old. I have some Nubian/Kiko cross does that I'm putting them over and getting nice results.

1680382025158.jpeg

rittert3

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some are graded on the degree of mytonia. It gets confusing I've seen pure bred that don't freeze, but I've also seen commercial x kids by high mytonia bucks that still freeze up. I've found it hard to sort out meat type mytonic, improved meat type, from silky fainters, other pet types, and their crosses.