Will my little goat recover, or is the damage done?

pemquail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to start by saying I feel terrible that I caused her symptoms and was unaware of the effects of too much/the wrong kind of/any at all grain can have on a young goat. I have learned my lesson about how to supplement her forage in the winter, so please don't be too harsh with me.

I have 2 Nigerian dwarf sisters just turned 12 months. Several (6+ weeks ago) we noticed one of them craning her neck or "stargazing" upwards, which eventually turned into circling within her pasture in a repeated pattern several times a day.

I tried to figure out what it was and goat polio seemed to come up again and again. We are treating her round-the-clock with oral B-12 thiamine liquid. She's getting 16-20 mL of this liquid daily in 4-8 hour intervals. The thiamine does seem to improve the neurological symptoms, but it's definitely not curing it completely as we have been doing this for about 9 days with improvement, but not cure.

I stopped the grain 4 weeks ago after research made me suspect it was the culprit. Since, she’s been eating only hay, forage grass from her pasture, and grass pellets as we’ve had absolutely terrible weather lately.

I do have short-acting animal penicillin on hand, if anyone would recommend this.

My question is, can my goat be saved or is the damage done?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you as I've not dealt with your symptoms.

Have you had a fecal run on the wee girl?

Is calling in a Vet within your budget? If so I strongly suggest doing so. If not I would continue with the thiamine treatment.

My understanding is it may take a while to see remission.

Big hug for you. It is remarkable how quickly these goaties own your heart. Shall keep you and her in my prayers.

Please keep us posted on her progress. We are very interested if how you handle this situation and how your wee girl does in the future.

pemquail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Time for an update! Thank you, everyone, who replied. I know this is a very specific issue and I have been researching and looking in other places, too! The Tennessee Meat Goat website mentioned by frustratedearthmother was just one of the resources, so thank you!

It is most certainly goat polio. She has zero symptoms aligning with listeriosis that aren't explained by goat polio.

Sunday at 9:30 am I began giving 500mg vitamin B complex around the clock every 4 hours, alternating between sub-q right side, sub-q left side, intramuscular left side, instramuscular right side. I feel awful doing this, and am still not used to it. Once I made her bleed. It is horrible but God has been with me through it all (yes at 5am with a flashlight and an injection gun) keeping me calm so I can soothe her as much as possible. I give lots of probiotic treats at these 4-hour injections and lots of praise. I love her and I hate hurting her.

Her symptoms have abated sharply since beginning this treatment. There are now only occasional head rolls and circling, and always around the 3.5 hour mark when they do occur, which isn't every time.

Loose mineral, 1/2 ounce a day has also helped. She is getting 800 mg human ibuprofen every 24 hours to ease the brain swelling and inflammation, since Banamine is prescription only and there isn't any such thing as a livestock veterinarian in our part of the midwest that will see anything smaller than a cow.

I am sure she will live. Each day, I receive a devotional in my email that gives me a Bible verse. In my newborn-baby sleep schedule of waking up twice a night, I hadn't read it yesterday morning as I usually do. After a 6pm injection last night, emotionally exhausted, I finally sat down to read it. Yesterday's verse: "He blesses them, and they multiply greatly; he does not let their livestock decrease." Psalm 107:38

Kind strangers, thank you for the advice and I will post a pic of my girl soon.

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Time for an update! Thank you, everyone, who replied. I know this is a very specific issue and I have been researching and looking in other places, too! The Tennessee Meat Goat website mentioned by frustratedearthmother was just one of the resources, so thank you!

It is most certainly goat polio. She has zero symptoms aligning with listeriosis that aren't explained by goat polio.

Sunday at 9:30 am I began giving 500mg vitamin B complex around the clock every 4 hours, alternating between sub-q right side, sub-q left side, intramuscular left side, instramuscular right side. I feel awful doing this, and am still not used to it. Once I made her bleed. It is horrible but God has been with me through it all (yes at 5am with a flashlight and an injection gun) keeping me calm so I can soothe her as much as possible. I give lots of probiotic treats at these 4-hour injections and lots of praise. I love her and I hate hurting her.

Her symptoms have abated sharply since beginning this treatment. There are now only occasional head rolls and circling, and always around the 3.5 hour mark when they do occur, which isn't every time.

Loose mineral, 1/2 ounce a day has also helped. She is getting 800 mg human ibuprofen every 24 hours to ease the brain swelling and inflammation, since Banamine is prescription only and there isn't any such thing as a livestock veterinarian in our part of the midwest that will see anything smaller than a cow.

I am sure she will live. Each day, I receive a devotional in my email that gives me a Bible verse. In my newborn-baby sleep schedule of waking up twice a night, I hadn't read it yesterday morning as I usually do. After a 6pm injection last night, emotionally exhausted, I finally sat down to read it. Yesterday's verse: "He blesses them, and they multiply greatly; he does not let their livestock decrease." Psalm 107:38

Kind strangers, thank you for the advice and I will post a pic of my girl soon.
We always get the perfect verses at just the right time!!

pemquail

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello everyone! She is feeling so much better. Her circling and head twirling are nearly gone, and the restlessness, fever, and brain swelling are totally gone. Her rumen also sounds great - gurgling and moving with belching and cud chewing. We are continuing 4-6 hour treatment protocol for a minimum of 5 days, but it is working! We are praising God for the many kind people who shared their knowledge online and for this community that helped me press on. While we would never choose for our animals to go through this terrible thing, we are incredibly grateful for the process because from it, we learn and grow. Artemis Beep thanks you!

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 12.35.28 PM.png