Winter feeding

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Shelly May said:
Yes, all livestock can do great on just good Hay without grain, grain is only important a few times a year,
before putting them in for breeding thur a few weeks at breeding, and again during late lactation. Hay should
be fed free choice tho, all they want. We here from many farms as to what they feed and how much and
how often, But bottom line when they are not on good pasture, then just good hay is enough for them.
you said your livestock was not bred, and the choice of hay you have is good hay, grain is important if your
finishing a animal out for butcher, grain is important for some milk production, grain can be a important factor
for breeding time, or the lack of hay and pasture grain would be a supplement option. All animals will do fine
on the type of hay you have, remember feed free choice all they want. (round bales) ect. As far as the mineral
I could give my opinion with mixed livestock, but ask your vet what they recommend with mixed sheep and goat,
Grandulated minerial is the way I would go. Some of us have deeper pockets then others, but the fact is what
did they do in the wild? An animal from the wild would be jumping up and down for all they could eat good hay
if they were offered it. (AND THRIVE) on it.
Yes I feed grain for about a total of 6-8 weeks out of the year to
my adult sheep, and I feed grain to my lambs free choice 60 days (girls) 90 days (boys) lambs are sold and thru
the winter I only have the adults, and they get mineral and free choice hay. You will be fine!!!
Don't for get the livestock we have today are quit different than there wild ancestry and there needs have changed.

Chris