Wonton

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today I want to share with you my recipe for wontons. Wonton is a type of meat-filled dumplings commonly found in Chinese cuisine. It can be cooked in several different ways such as in soup, pan-fried or deep fried but is most commonly served in soup.

My recipe consists of some basic ingredients that most already have in their pantry. You can definitely "spice" it up according to your taste. I make mine kid-friendly for my 7-yr-old son. I don't normally measure my ingredients exactly, it's always a little here and a little there. If you want to add more or add less, by all means, please do, to make it suit your taste.

Ingredients needed:
  • 1 package of wonton wrappers, at room tempreture (at my local grocery store, these can be found in the tofu/vegan section near the produce). I've never tried making my own wrappers but I've read recipes and they look pretty easy.
  • 1 to 1 1/2 pound of ground meat. It's traditionally made with ground pork but I prefer using ground chicken. Sometimes I will add chopped/ground shrimp to the ground chicken.
  • 1/4 cup of finely chopped mushroom. This is optional if you or your kiddos don't eat mushrooms. My son loves mushrooms so I add some in as a "filler" so I can make more.
  • 1 -2 cloves of minced garlic, or more if you want it garlicky (or to deter vampires lol)
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped chives/green onion, more or less depending on your taste as well.
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce.
  • Salt & Pepper to taste. Since soy sauce is already salty, please only add salt of you want more salt.
  • These are all optional, I don't add them in my recipe because I don't normally have these ingredients, plus DH doesn't like sesame oil: sesame oil, minced ginger, and Chinese rice wine

Instructions:
  • Mix all the ingredients together. You can do a taste test by making a tiny "meatball" then cook it in boiling water for a few minutes. Check for doneness then taste. I normally do this before wrapping them, that way I know if I need to add anything else.
  • Have a small cup of water ready, you'll need that to "seal" the wrappers.
  • Place a wrapper in the palm of your hand then scoop about 1 teaspoon (or a little less) of meat filling(I wouldn't do more than 1 teaspoon, would be too much and when you seal it, the filling will ooze out) and place it in the center of the wrapper.
  • Moisten the edges, you can do all 4 edges or just 2 would be fine. Then pull one corner up to meet the opposite corner to make a triangle. Press the edges firmly to seal. Before completely sealing the edges, make sure that you push all the air out from inside.
  • You can make them into fancy wonton shapes or just leave them as triangles. My son loves helping me with these and he'd make then into triangles or whatever shapes he feels like(square, rectangle...)
And there you have it. You can cook them immediately by boiling them in hot water/broth for about 5 minutes(about 7-8 minutes if frozen). Or you can pan-fry or deep fry them. You can also freeze the uncooked wontons and cook them at a later time. If you do so, they should go from freezer right into your broth or deep fryer(but be careful putting frozen stuff in hot oil!). I find that the wrappers get soggy if you de-thaw them first.

Normally when I make wonton soup, I start with a good broth, then add carrots, celery, bok choy and wontons. Quick and simple meal!

Pics below, top one: wontons ready for the freezer, bottom one: wonton soup for my boy

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oops forgot the pics! Lol
20180624_155531.jpg

20180624_174816.jpg