1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Working with Wool: Working Hard

Discussion in 'Fibers' started by luvmypets, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Jun 13, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Indeed it does! I bet spinning is a lot harder than it looks when you watch experienced people.

I watched some videos on all the steps necessary to get the fiber that was "retrieved" from the alpaca to the point of carding. More steps than I thought! Do you have a "tumbler" to help get the dirt and some debris out of the fleece? I found it quite informative to see that one must wash and rinse in HOT water (like the 120° that likely comes out of the water heater), NEVER go from hot water to cold and NEVER agitate (including letting water run through the fleece while filling the sink/tub/whatever you are washing/rinsing in) ... unless you want it to felt. Then have at it I guess ;) Of course I suspect if it "self felts" during the wash/rinse steps any debris that is in it will then be impossible to get out. At least with alpaca you don't need to use much soap since they don't have lanolin that needs to be scoured out.

luvmypets likes this.
  2. Jul 9, 2017
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Last few days have been busy fleece wise. Three days ago I washed the 1st cut(blanket) from our herd king Bear. Started by sitting in front of the tv and picking out all the debris I could find. Then into a warm wash to sit in over night. Next morning took the fleece out and drained the fluids. I then put it into the sun to dry, spreading it out in thin layers. It took two days to dry but it is finally done. JUst needs to be carded and spun. :weee
    IMG_9882.JPG

Tonight I took the 2nd cut of bears fleece(neck/rump) and picked it and put it in the wash, it will go out tommorow all day to dry. Its so soft and there was so much..help Im drowning in fleece. Even my spinning wheel cowers in fear. The scary part is this is only 1/2 of one fleece :th
    IMG_9995.JPG

I also skirted Ras and Clover's fleeces and they are also in the wash.

My poor living room...Clovers fleece was so dirty!
    IMG_9996.JPG

But look at how nice it is, the crimp has me drooling. Cant wait to see what her lamb Simon gives me.
    IMG_0001.JPG

Ras's dirty fleece, I still dont understand how they get so dirty, stalls are cleaned reguraly. This remains a mystery.
    IMG_0006.JPG

Backside of Ras's fleece makes me want a blanket out of it.
    IMG_0007.JPG

Pics of all the fleeces in the wash. I know my family loves how our kitchen smells like lanolin :)
    IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0011.JPG

After all that was done I spun some of bears blanket but failed quite bad. Alpaca is so frustrating to spin but I will get there. By the end I got some yarn I was proud of. Here is some of the failed yarn from Busters fiber and bear. Both are suri alpacas.
    IMG_0014.JPG

Welp that's all, super glad Im finally getting a handle of the fiber situation, expect more in the future! Now Im off to bed its almost 1 AM and I am one tired gal

3. Jul 10, 2017
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Dirt happens!! :lol:
    I know why my two alpacas are dirty, they dust bathe daily just like the chickens do! But my dad, who raised sheep, said they don't roll in the dirt. Must be your sheep got blowing dirt when they were wet or something.

No need to rinse the alpaca fiber? Just a soapy soak?

That crimp in Clover's fleece is super!

All I have to say to you is GOOD JOB @luvmypets !! :celebrate DD1 (who is about 8 years your senior) is saying "I don't have a spinning wheel". Um well, no she doesn't. And she doesn't have any picked, washed, dried and carded fiber to spin either. We do have DIRTY fiber but I've not seen one bit of motion from her toward changing that description. I'm willing to bet that having the best spinning wheel made wouldn't change that. She WANTS but doesn't often want to DO.

4. Jul 10, 2017
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

very cool to see the process, thanks for sharing pictures!

5. Jul 10, 2017
    luvmypets

luvmypets Herd Master

Bears entire fleece is washed and ready for spinning!

Ras's fleece dryed very well and makes me very happy with how it's looking, I may put it out again tomorrow to make sure it's nice and dry.

Clover's fleece is still wet, it may take a few days as it is so dense.

I'm not sure who I will do next, I'm thinking of tackling Geno as he is the last Suri.

Latestarter likes this.
  6. Jul 11, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

You go girl! What progress!