1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. I like to point my camera at things... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Worming donkey

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Horses, Mules, and Donkeys' started by Josie, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Mar 3, 2018
    Josie

Josie Exploring the pasture

What is the best wormer to use for my donkey .... He is about a year old and I have wormed him with ivomec twice. Kw but he is still pot bellied ....he gets sweet feed twice a day a free graze on pasture .

2. Mar 4, 2018
    Alibo

Alibo Loving the herd life

I have great luck with Quest plus paste. Donkeys are a little more "round" on the tummy than horses and have that flat back that make them look even rounder. I would do a fecal egg count to check for parasites before you continue to worm, they are usually a pretty resistant equine. The sweet feed may also be playing a role in his pot -bellied appearance, they have a wonderful food conversion ability and get fat very easily. A fat donkey turns into a sick grumpy donkey with very sore feet. Talk to your vet of course but he should be just fine on graze and hay.

promiseacres likes this.