Xerocles rabbit thread

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Day 31. 7:am. No kits, no nest building, no fur pulling. :hu:confused::idunno
Bummer....be patient...remember..this doesn’t alway go by the book. You don’t have to put a nest box in on an exact day...take cues from your girl...she may pull for a week..she may do everything in one night. They are alll different. Both my girls who started pulling at the beginning of the week have settled down now...but, I’m trying to be patient. I don’t even let that stupid word false pregnancy enter Mt thoughts at this point...nothing you can do but enjoy the process...if in a few more days, nothing, you can rebreEd your doe....:). I’m pulling for you!

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
QUICK HELP! Kits are here. Zero fur pulled. No hay in nest box. She had them in the nest box, ripped off a piece of cardboard to cover them and thats all. Do I intervene and add something? I didn't even count! Temp is mild. Its 59f right now and supposed to hit 79s today.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok
QUICK HELP! Kits are here. Zero fur pulled. No hay in nest box. She had them in the nest box, ripped off a piece of cardboard to cover them and thats all. Do I intervene and add something? I didn't even count! Temp is mild. Its 59f right now and supposed to hit 79s today.
, so I put on the coffe thread to add the hay in the nest box and put he4 cardboard on the top of the kits. That’s what I...not an expert...but definitely experienced with lost kits from exposure....would do. Get them off the wire grate. Maybe give her some BOSS if you have it, she might be tired. Plus, some new moms jump when you do in at first...just don’t act scared..but don’t get scratched...ugh....it’ll be fine..congrats!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just put some hay in there for warmth, underneath them ..(in their nest box) ..kinda like a bird's nest.....you will have to wait see what happens....I would suggest not to use the cardboard on the bottom . ...best of luck to you and your kits .:fl

Last edited:

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She had 5. 4 clustered in the back with no hay, only a piece of cardboard to cover them. One nestled up front in a little spot of hay. I built a nest hole of some really soft grass hay and put all five into it. Right now all wiggling and squirming, so we'll see how it goes.
Females! Guess she figured she wasn't gonna mess up her pretty red and white fur coat by pulling fur out!
20200112_084027.jpg

What I found. Notice one in lower right.
20200112_084152.jpg
20200112_084311.jpg

Snuggled in new hay.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
She had 5. 4 clustered in the back with no hay, only a piece of cardboard to cover them. One nestled up front in a little spot of hay. I built a nest hole of some really soft grass hay and put all five into it. Right now all wiggling and squirming, so we'll see how it goes.
Females! Guess she figured she wasn't gonna mess up her pretty red and white fur coat by pulling fur out!
View attachment 68806
What I found. Notice one in lower right
Snuggled in new hay.
They need a box over them to keep drafts off them as mom didn't pull any fur, it needs to be big enough for her to get into and nurse the kits , and have a "lip" at the opening where she goes in to keep the kits from crawling out of the nest or being attached to her while nursing...
We made ours out of wood and leave them in the hutch all the time so they also have extra shelter from rain or wind.... congratulations on your first kits .:celebrate