Yay! Getting my first sheep this weekend!!!

YakLady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've never had sheep, but have wanted some for awhile. I chose to start out with Katahdins. On Saturday, hubby and I will be going to one farm to pick up three boys (two to be processed), and then we're going to a second farm to pick up two girls. All were born in April/May, so they should be ready to breed in a couple of months. I'm so excited!!!! They will be sharing a pasture with my bottle-fed baby Yak (Bayak Obama). :D

YakLady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! I got my first 8 from a farm in Wisconsin called The Green Bay Yakkers (Bayak Obama came from there). We had two bulls out of our original eight. Our intent was to quickly process one of them in order to have immediate freezer meat. Once we got them home, though, we saw that both bulls were beautiful, and had great potential as breeders. So we bought four more yak cows from a farm in Idaho. Each of those four cows came with babies, so now we have 16 yaks. Hopefully, our bulls will do their job, and we'll have lots of babies this Spring!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are they expensive? Taste like beef? Average cost of a yak? :) They are kind of small, aren't they? And you can use them for meat, milk and fiber?

Tell us more! Never met anyone who owned a yak before! :D

Latest posts