York County PA- three soon to be homeless goats

BDial

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you have any extra kids coats (for the pybmies) and one of your coats hanging around that you could possible use on the goats for a day? When I bred my doe last month I forgot her blanket and I let her wear my coat on the way home. Washed the buck smell off and it is back in use as my farm coat. I transported her in the back of a pickup in a crate (unfortunately without a tarp). It was about 30 out that day. She made the trip just fine after I folded my sleaves up.
ETA: picture
Mom and Ethanol
goatcoat.jpg

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
BDial said:
Do you have any extra kids coats (for the pybmies) and one of your coats hanging around that you could possible use on the goats for a day? When I bred my doe last month I forgot her blanket and I let her wear my coat on the way home. Washed the buck smell off and it is back in use as my farm coat. I transported her in the back of a pickup in a crate (unfortunately without a tarp). It was about 30 out that day. She made the trip just fine after I folded my sleaves up.
ETA: picture
Mom and Ethanol
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/bkruckeberg/goatcoat.jpg
Ha! That's great! I'm sure I could find something. We'll certainly cover the crate with a tarp though. I have one little doeling that has a sweater for really cold days. She's very sensitive to the cold, she was a preemie when she was born. Her sweater wouldn't fit full-grown goats though. Great pic of the goat in a coat! I could buy some kid's coats at goodwill, that would be an option. I'm sure we'll work something out!

hikerchick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am so grateful to DianneS for caring about whether or not my goats will be too cold for the trip. clearly, they are going to a good home and I will be able to rest at night.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We will have the dog crate completely wrapped in a tarp. I'll probably prop some hay bales up around it too. They will have each other for warmth as well. If you want to try and put coats on them we could. I have a few insulated vests that might fit, but being handled by new people, they might freak out and not be too keen on being "undressed" by strangers! :gig

I think we'll be okay with a tarp blocking the wind. We'll be sure that its covered completely on all sides. We did that for my mini horse and he was a sickly, weak rescue at the time and we were driving more than an hour. He survived the trip and recovered too!

I think January 2nd or 3rd will work well for us. I'll let you know for sure tonight. :woot

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well the three homeless goats are now situated in their new home! They rode quietly on the back of the truck in the dog crate wrapped tightly in a tarp. It was a very windy, cold day too, but everyone survived the trip just fine!

My goats are actually the ones penned up, while the new-comers have run of the main part of the goat barn. The guardian dog is tied up until he learns that these new goats are part of his herd too. I think once all of the goats are getting along fine, the dog will automatically accept them.

But so far so good! The new goats just need to get over their anxiety about being in a new place and they will be just fine!

hikerchick

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I cannot thank you enough. It is painful having to give up my babies and I am grateful that they went to a home where they will be cared for.

BTW- Nomad loves to play with dogs.

dianneS

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Everyone is turned out together today. They are working out the herd dynamics just fine. I'm watching out the window now. The guardian dog seems to be fine with them now. I'll have to get some pics of them all together if this wind ever lets up!

Alex the guardian dog will love to have a goat that plays with him. He tries to play with the girls, but they aren't interested!

Latest posts