Zip Tie care...

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Question for you guys...

I wondered if you could get zip ties to last longer, by coating melted wax over them? What do you think about this? (Or do you have another way of doing it that would be better?)

I'd made a few rabbit hatches out of wood...except the front grills it was easier to use zip ties than anything else. But I'm thinking that I should do something to preserve the zip ties, such as above, or try something else eventually?

(I'm not sure how long these will last. So far its been well and that they have endured well. But on another project they lasted about 2 or 3 years, before the zip ties became brittle.)

A lot of people use zip ties for farm stuff. I figured someone else might have had the same issues.

Thanks.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If they are exposed to much sun, they will degrade from that. Cold will also degrade. Different grades of zip ties too. Wax probably will not adhere well to the plastic for any length of time. I think that 2-3 years is pretty good. I think that if it is somewhere I want longer life, that a thin wire instead of zip ties would be better. But wire will degrade if exposed to manure/urine. The acid will eat through wire.
Anytime we use zip ties it always with the idea of "temporary".... I have a couple of "turkey crates" ... plastic.... that are actually 2 halves of chicken crates that the other half got damaged/broken whatever. Use zip ties to hold the top to the bottom and replace every other year or so. Originally they were put together with some sort of clip, and some nuts and bolts.... but those broke through the plastic... zip ties are fast and easy. Cheap to replace....

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they are exposed to much sun, they will degrade from that. Cold will also degrade. Different grades of zip ties too. Wax probably will not adhere well to the plastic for any length of time. I think that 2-3 years is pretty good. I think that if it is somewhere I want longer life, that a thin wire instead of zip ties would be better. But wire will degrade if exposed to manure/urine. The acid will eat through wire.
Anytime we use zip ties it always with the idea of "temporary".... I have a couple of "turkey crates" ... plastic.... that are actually 2 halves of chicken crates that the other half got damaged/broken whatever. Use zip ties to hold the top to the bottom and replace every other year or so. Originally they were put together with some sort of clip, and some nuts and bolts.... but those broke through the plastic... zip ties are fast and easy. Cheap to replace....

Thanks for your comments/advise.

Are turkeys more food efficient than chickens (from foraging etc, or?) ? (Since I have the chance to ask.)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that the turkeys foraged better than the chickens overall.... but they grow slower.... the Broadbreasted ones will forage if raised that way and they grow faster than the heritage breeds. They don't forage as much as the heritage breeds though. I raise alot of ccx and they are lazy but they will forage some and they grow fast. The layers will forage pretty good.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
They make metal zip ties and a little applicator gun for them, which may be helpful to you.

1612788357123.png

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hose clamps may do the trick also. Usually you can open the clips to get them around items to tighten them up.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of people use zip ties for farm stuff. I figured someone else might have had the same issues.
I use zip ties nearly every week of the world. My whole chicken coop is held together with zip ties, as are the tarps covering it. Just used metal zip ties today while putting CP in some fencing gaps. I use zip ties to hold up CP trellis in the garden every year and I'll be using zip ties to fasten insulated wire to my livestock fencing for the dog fence....just bought a pack of 800 for that.

I don't know what we ever did before zip ties. Mostly baling twine and such, but nothing beats zip ties. Wish I held the patent for those. :D =D

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I totally get this. They are amazing.

Latest posts