Can't stop it.... ARGH

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I'm going rounds with Coccidia at my place with my little ones. I'm fighting it left and right... Doing the day one then day 2-5 half dose thing.

However I have one doeling that I can't figure out.... I've done one whole round of Di-Methox and it didn't break it. So I hit her with Valbazen. (She had, had ivomec about a month ago) Then I started Sulmet. I'm also using the two days of Scour-halt the red stuff to try and stop the runs so she doesn't get dehydrated b/c it's HOT here.

I guess I need a fecal, but untill then any ideas/suggestions.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
could try corid.

Probios daily

Also would consider antiotic shots.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Some have have success with using DiMethox and Safeguard together for coccidia when they have a resistant strain.

Chris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
When treating for Cocci we use Di-Methox, give 8 to 10 cc's per adult goat for 5 days in a row. [don't skip a day]
Kids get 3 to 5 cc's for 5 days in a row. [again don't skip a day]

If the goats have watery diarrhea you can get some Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprim Oral Suspension 200mg/40mg per 5 mL from your vet (I think I payed 15.00 for 16 fl oz the last time we got it). Given orally, the dosage is 2 cc per 100 pounds body weight.

Chris

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Chris said:
If the goats have watery diarrhea you can get some Sulfamethoxazole & Trimethoprim Oral Suspension 200mg/40mg per 5 mL from your vet (I think I payed 15.00 for 16 fl oz the last time we got it). Given orally, the dosage is 2 cc per 100 pounds body weight.
You may also know this as SMZ-TMP.

You can also use Marquis. It is very expensive but works. You may have Emac which is a type of coccidia. You have to send the fecal out for a longer test to determine if it is Emac. A few years ago, Emac went through alpaca herds and killed some alpacas. Marquis ended up being the drug of choice to get rid of it.

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You haven't done a fecal and can't resolve the cocci problem? What makes you convinced you are fighting a cocci problem?

ksj0225

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
You haven't done a fecal and can't resolve the cocci problem? What makes you convinced you are fighting a cocci problem?
Because the other kids cleared up.

Latest posts