Do sheep eat hay..?

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Hmm, I've noticed the same with my Kat's. They don't mind eating the hay when the grass pickings are slim, including my Dorper mixes they seem to like the hay more but my wool sheep would rather graze all day than take the easy hay. Our winter has been highly unusual this year though so the grass is still growing some, when there should be lots of snow on the ground and below freezing weather.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Our St. Croixs love their hay - there's a little grass around but not a whole lot right now. We are feeding a grass/alfalfa mix right now. They will not eat the stalks!

Liz

Rvrfshr

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
secuono said:
My trio has hay, but I never see them eat any of it. Surely made no dent in the hay they have as bedding, nor the stuff being stored they can reach and never the flakes left for them. Horses eat the hay, pony plays with it, ugh!
So do sheep even eat hay?? They been on nothing but grass, started some pellets for the preggo ewes this weekend.
Ruminants (ovine & bovine) require roughage. Green grass is fine, but when it becomes scarce hay is the next best thing. Over feeding pellets is not the best way to keep your sheep in good health.

For the good of your sheep, keep them off the grass part of the time and help them get used to hay. There was a time when sheep existed entirely on grass or hay, and did not have the luxury of pellets. I believe these animals were healthier then and had fewer problems.

Being a good shepherd doesn't necessarily mean that you have to spoon feed your animals or pamper them to the point of making them unhealthy, much like the youth of today.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Being a good shepherd doesn't necessarily mean that you have to spoon feed your animals or pamper them to the point of making them unhealthy, much like the youth of today.
Well said :)

Liz

Latest posts