Fur tanning

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we bring lambs to the processor, they always ask...do you want the pelt? Of course I'm crying each time and the thought of bringing that home is too painful...wish it wasn't so, but that's how it is...kind of think at my age, I'm not going to change that part of it :(
:hugs

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1. Cavemen used to dry the skins, then used rocks ,their own hands and teeth to soften the leather.
2. As for a caveman using/making Sulfuric acid, they had no concept of chemistry.
3. As for plastic buckets and bricks, the cave men had to teleport themselves through time to find any on the side of roads or even a Natural Food store.
4. While bees have been using the hexagon form out of instinct for growing young and store honey.
5. You will have much better luck with the skin of the more mature rabbit than from a younger one.
I understand your challenge and even enjoy it.
1. Cavemen never tan skins and furs because they had Cavewomen to do the job. Study and learn.
2. You are partially right on this one. They had knowledge of acids because they were part of Nature. But they could not explain them in scientific terms.
3. You are 100% right on this one.
4. Can you prove it is instinct and not logic?
5. You probably rely on luck in what you do but I rely on knowledge and skill so ........ I have no use for luck.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Do any of these methods bleach black furs? I've read there are some methods that will bleach black sheep skins.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have never tried but maybe oxygen bleach or chlorine bleach might work.

So I had some time and took my furs out of the solution and let them drain and rinse them and then clean the skin of fats and tissue.
On some it came off easy but on few I had to pull too hard and broke the skin so I stopped if it did not came off essay and put them back in the solution for few more days.
Hope on Tuesday after work to finish them.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, I took the pelts out with a glove one by one and drain and put them in a 5 gall bucket full of water to rinse.
Take them out and drain them and placing them on a plank of wood with the skin up I cleaned the remaining fat and tissue.
I found out that each one is different and must be gentle with some or they break and pull hard on some because they are stronger.
After I clean them up the best I could I put them back in the solution for one more week or so.
Then it will come the drying process.

cybercat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A few years ago when I was looking at getting into meat/fur rabbits I ran into a great website on tanning. Wish I still had it but alas that comp is long gone and I lost all my links. If I remember right it was by a man called the tanningman. I will have to see if I can find it again.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am using the same sulfuric acid recipe and this week I need to take them out and dry them and see how the first batch worked.
After that I have 30+ more to do.