Fur tanning

frarmer1

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I used alum and salt and got very nice, white, soft pelts. Used mayo and fur isn't coming out, not rotting, but it's like stiff paper on the flesh side. Haven't tried any other methods yet.
I have done a few rabbits with alum in the past also, and gotten mostly cardboard. I did a few braintanned deerskins and recently tackled the 40 rabbit hides from the freezer.I learned a few things.
I used 1 gal water, 1 cup each alum and salt. Soak fresh, washed hides for 2 to 3 days and then scrape. I have a fencepost with a bi-pod and I use old steak knives with finely serrated teeth to scrape. If you let them soak longer they are harder to scrape. Rex are harder than regular fur, and tear easier, but have better fur. put another cup of salt and alum in the bucket, and soak 7 - 10 days.
Drain give a good shampoo to the fur, rinse, do a second rinse in 1/4 c vinegar and 5 gal water for 10 min, rinse again and drain. Roll up in a big towel, when the fur starts to fluff, they are dry enough to put the oil on. I have used 1/4 cup neatsfoot with 1/4 cup grated homemade soap to 1 pint water, tanning oil from Rittels,and beargrease.
I believe my failures were from not enough oil, and not working till dry.You can tell they are dry when they don't feel cool on the flesh side. PH is important, I think the mayo might be too acidic?
I have a 1x6x28 mounted perpendicular in a halved ash log. the top is cut rounded and then sharpened a bit. I pull the hides back and forth across the top.Portable and I can use it sitting down.